Monday, July 9, 2012

Building a Doll House: The Creator – Chapter 6


NOTE: If you missed Chapters 1-5 of Building a Doll House, you can find it in the column under "blog archive" to the right.

I knew my husband was an engineer when I married him. What I didn’t know was how that was going to affect every aspect of our lives.

Years ago, we built a loft bed for Bethany. To me, it looked like four legs, four sides, a base and some stabilizing pieces. But to Mason, it was a reflection of who he was. It had to be perfect. And if it wasn’t, more than likely, it would have to be taken apart and re-done.

It was no different with building the doll house. Each piece and part had to be placed with precise measurements and absolute certainty. For the perfectionist engineer, nothing less would do.

Yesterday, I mentioned reading Psalm 139 every day for a month. I still believe it is a great idea. But let’s look at some of the other elements in this Psalm. Our God, the Creator of the universe, took great care in designing each of us. And regardless of how happy (or unhappy) we are with His creation, to Him, we are perfect.

Psalm 139 begins with the acknowledgement that God knows us. He knows us inside and out. He knows our actions. He knows our thoughts. He knows what we will speak before we speak them. Now that is knowledge.

The Psalter continues his discourse. Perhaps there were times he wanted to hide from God, but to no avail. God always knew where to find David.  It is the same for us. When sin is active in our lives, our greatest desire is to hide from God. But it’s no use. He knows.

And the greatest part is that God will continue to lead and guide us through those moments. He won’t ever give up on us. God is always there.

And then, Psalm 139 speaks of God’s hands at work in a mother’s womb. God, who planned each part of our world, created you and me. And to Him, we are perfect.

“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” (Psalm 139:14-16 – NIV)

Science is continually finding new things about our bodies to amaze us. But to be honest, our amazement shouldn’t be about what scientists have found, but that God created us that specific way.

God knew exactly what He was doing. He knew exactly what functions our bodies would need for survival. He knew how each organ would need to work with others. He was the Architect. The Designer of all creation. Why wouldn’t He get it perfect?

And yes, David expresses this in Psalm 139. He admires the thoughts of God. The endless thoughts that God had for all of creation. Down to the tiniest particle (that science seems to have just found and is interestingly enough called the God Particle), God thought of it.

David doesn’t end the Psalm there. He continues with his desire for God to know him even more. “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24 – NIV)

We like David, desire that deep relationship with God. But that means giving God full access to every corner and crevice, every nook and cranny of our lives.

I am thankful for the engineering, perfectionist mind of God. For without it, I could not say that I am exactly who God wants me to be. Without it, I might be considered a mistake. But I am not. I am a child of God. I am His beloved.

The doll house was finished and it is as perfect as any doll house you will find out there. I am thankful for my engineer, perfectionist husband who was willing to take the time to get it right. Thanks Gido, for the perfect doll house.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment