Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Senses


I read a lot of blog posts each day. Some are spiritual in nature. Some are associated with the publishing field. Others speak directly to writing. A recent blog post about writing shared the idea of using our five senses to speak to our audience.

I was intrigued by the thought, so decided to try it. Using the five senses given by God, I will show how I see, feel, taste, hear, and smell God.

I See God’s Handiwork
Living in Colorado has allowed me to see God’s handiwork up close and personal. The Rocky Mountains, wild-flower covered meadows, glacial lakes, animals of all sizes, a big sky with thousands of stars, and the faces of my children and grandchildren.


Because I believe that God is the Creator of all, I see His handiwork in all that I see. Genesis chapter 1 gives the account of God’s creation. From “Let there be light” to “Let us make man in our image.” (Genesis 1:3a, 26a – NIV)

God’s handiwork can be seen anywhere. We simply need to open our eyes to see Him.

I Feel God’s Love
Of all the books in the Bible, we can see the abundant examples of God’s love in 1 John. If you haven’t read it in a while, or if you cannot feel God’s love around you, read through it. Several times. You’ll begin to feel God’s love.

The verses that stand out to me are:
1 John 3:1 (NIV) “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.”

1 John 4:8 (NIV) “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.”

1 John 4:9 (NIV) “This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.”

1 John 5:2 (NIV) “This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.”

You see we can feel God’s love when we produce love for others and follow His commands.

I Taste God’s Goodness
I don’t know that there is anything better than a great taste on my tongue. It might be sweet or salty; spicy or mild; creamy or chunky; chocolate or non-chocolate. If it is the right combination, my mouth waters with delight.

That’s the way it is with God. Except that His goodness tastes good all the time! There isn’t a time when He gets it wrong.

Psalm 34:8 (NIV) says, “Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.”

God’s Word is also described by taste buds. Psalm 119:103 (NIV) says, “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!”

I understand these analogies. I love to eat. I know exactly what David is trying to say in these verses. Unfortunately, when I substitute food for God’s goodness and His Word, I am filling my life with lies, not truth. How are you doing on this one?

I Hear God’s Voice
Hearing God’s voice is a controversial topic. I have never audibly heard God speak to me, but I hear what God is saying to me. Through His Scripture, through His messengers, through my meditation. I hear what God wants to say to me.

Jesus said in John 8:47a (NIV), “Whoever belongs to God hears what God says.” When my heart is in tune with God’s teachings, I hear what God says. Loud and clear.

Oh, what it would have been like to be with Jesus and to hear His teachings! That would have been glorious. Luke 5:1 (NIV) says, “One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret, the people were crowding around him and listening to the word of God.” The people of that time had an opportunity to hear God speak directly to them. How blessed they were.

And like the crowd that followed Jesus, I want to hear all that Jesus has to say by reading and studying God’s Word, by listening to those who preach the Gospel, and when God’s Spirit stops me in my tracks to get my attention, I will listen.

I Smell God’s Fragrance
In Hosea 14, Israel finds the blessings that come from repentance. God’s healing. God’s refreshment. God’s life-giving nourishment. God’s provision. God’s comfort. And God’s splendor that would be as the fragrance of the cedar trees of Lebanon.

The cedars of Lebanon were famous. Famous for their value and for what was built from them. Royal homes and temples dotted the landscape of the Near East and these structures were built from the cedars of Lebanon.

They also must have had the most wonderful scent, because God’s splendor was compared to that scent.

I know what cedar smells like. It is a scent that is like nothing else. That is what God smells like. Now I may have to purchase some of those cedar blocks for my closet.

Well those are my thoughts on my senses and God. I’m thankful to have all my senses, for I know there are those who do not have the luxury of having all five. I pray that each day I will take the time to use my senses to find God.

What about you? What could you add to my list? How do you see, feel, taste, hear, or smell God? I’d love to hear from you!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I see the qualities of God when I look into people's faces; there is so much nobility and majesty contained. The ordinary person oftentimes carries enormous tasks and worries, and sometimes immense burdens. I'm off to teach at the Women's Room, homeless women and women in transition come for weekly writing class. It's a true community, and their voices emerge in a sense of Glory, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther,
    Thanks for the comment. I love hearing from the folks who read my posts. Sounds like you have a fulfilling afternoon ahead of you. God bless and may His grace shine through you!

    Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete