Sunday, July 8, 2012

Rejection after Rejection!


I am probably one of the few women in the country who just watched the Help. My husband recorded it for me to watch while he was working. I did. And I’m glad I did.

One of the lead characters, Aibileen, raised children as one of her tasks. She did it well and she loved those children. Each morning, or anytime she felt it was necessary, she would say these words to the children and she would have them repeat them.

“You is kind. You is smart. You is important.”[i]

It’s important to teach young children how valuable they are. Aibileen knew that. She taught them well.

But sometimes, as adults, we feel useless. Like no one really cares about us. That we are not valuable to anyone.

I’ve felt this way for the past two years. Job searching and novel submitting have brought rejection after rejection. And then there are those companies out there who feel that I am not valuable enough to send a “no thank you” response. It’s tough on my heart. It’s tough on my ego. It’s tough.

You may not be in the situation I am in, but you have your own rejection. Perhaps rejection from a spouse or a child. Perhaps rejection from a bank for a loan. Or maybe rejection from a friend. I believe the list could go on…or you could fill in the blank. “Rejection from ___________.”

It’s tough. But I continue to remember how God views me. How He loves me when no one else will. How He believes me to be kind, smart, and important.

I heard of an idea to read through Psalm 139 every day for a month. At the end of the month, great ideas, images, and thoughts would fill our hearts and minds. I believe that.

Psalm 139 holds a verse that I want to target today. “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” (Psalm 139:14)

It doesn’t matter what the world thinks of me. It only matters what God thinks. And He made me wonderfully. And if I read Psalm 139 every day for a month, He will tell me that daily. Oh how I need to hear these words. Because to be honest, rejection is going to happen again…even today.

So if you are feeling rejection, why not run to our God who created you perfectly? He will embrace you with open arms and tell you how wonderful you are. Because to Him, you are kind, smart, and important…but most of all, you are His.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna


[i] "The Help".  Kathryn Stockett, New York: Amy Einhorn Books/G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2009. ISBN-10: 0399155341; ISBN-13: 9780399155345; Tate Taylor (screenplay).

No comments:

Post a Comment