Saturday, May 26, 2012

Just the Right Shoe


I’ve collected several items through the years. As a child I collected staples…I’m not sure what that says about me. I’ve collected angel figurines, houses, farming tools, dishes, Christmas décor, and anything with the word “joy” in or on it.

Other people I’ve known had other collections like rocks, salt and pepper shakers, fossils, precious moments figurines and art work to name a few.

My Mom has a few collections. Miniature oil cans, thimbles, Bybee pottery, and my favorite, Just the Right Shoe figurines by Raine.

These shoes are miniature replica of interesting and beautiful shoes. Some I’ve love to have in my wardrobe. The pictures are some of my favorites. But the thing is, they are only the right shoe.

There are several passages in the book of Psalm that tell us about the right hand or right arm of God. We are reminded of the power, and the works of the right hand or arm of God. Let’s see what is said.

We find joy and eternal pleasures at the right hand of God. “You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.” (Psalm 16:11)

We find salvation at the right hand of God. Psalm 17:7 tells us, “Show the wonder of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes.”

We find victory at the right hand of God. “You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.” (Psalm 18:35)

And in Psalm 44:3 we see, “It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them.”

And also Psalm 45:4. “In your majesty ride forth victoriously in behalf of truth, humility and righteousness; let your right hand display awesome deeds.”

We find stability at the right hand of God. Psalm 63:8 says, “My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.”

And Psalm 73:23 reminds us, “Yet I am always with you, you hold me by my right hand.”

In Psalm 139:9-10 we see, “If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.”

We find amazement of mighty works at the right hand of God. Psalm 98:1 says, “Sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things; his right hand and his holy arm have worked salvation for him.”

“Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous; ‘The Lord’s right hand has done mighty things!’” (Psalm 118:15)

I think I’d like to sit a while at God’s right hand. To see and hear and feel and know all that He can accomplish single handedly.

It has been fun, as Mom’s friends and family, to add to her shoe collection. Shoes that remind us of something or someone. Shoes to commemorate a special group of people. Shoes that are whimsical or beautiful. But in the end, they are just for pleasure. They are pretty little things for everyone to gaze upon.

God’s right arm is not like that. It is useful. It has purpose. Are you within the comfort of His right arm? If not, why not? Wrapped inside, you’ll find everything you could ever hope for.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment