Wednesday, November 28, 2012

All Creation

I enjoy making food look attractive. I’ve been drawn to food art for some time now and when I have the opportunity to try my hand at it, I rarely hesitate.


I’ve created penguin villages. Viking ship watermelons. Apple birds. Radish mice. Leek and scallion flowers. Chocolate covered strawberries. Bread cornucopias. And fruit bouquets.

While I was in SE Asia, I had the opportunity to watch as some real pros worked their magic with food. They created works of art from melons, pineapples and pumelos. That was a sight to see.

My Mom is visiting with me and as we were shopping for Thanksgiving items, we saw a beautiful display of food art in a local grocery store. There was a display of poached pears that really caught my eye.

So, we tried our hands at poached pears a few days ago…they were delicious and were attractive! Now that is a bonus!

The one thing I have been unsuccessful in with this art form is using it for God’s glory. Psalm 96 tells vividly of how God’s creation praises Him.

“Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it; let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them. Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy, they will sing before the Lord, for he comes, he comes to judge the earth.” (Psalm 96:11-13a – NIV)

My penguin village may not come to life and start singing, but I can use this skill to bring praise to God.

All of my talent comes from God. As each one is perfected, glory to Him should be raised. All praise should be given to Him. I am nothing without Him.

But with my human faults and failures, I fail to honor God in this way all the time.

So how am I to use my talents for God? How can I bring praise to Jesus with each talent? How would my gifts exalt the Name of Jesus?

1 Peter 4:10-11 (NIV) says, “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.”

Ahhh, I am to serve others. Food art may be more difficult to use in serving others than writing or teaching, but it is possible. There are opportunities where I might be able to bring joy to others through this art form. And as I create each piece, I can offer praise to the One who is the Master Creator!

How are you using your talents to glorify God? What steps do you need to take to offer thanks to God for the talents He has given you? How can you show others your gratitude to God for His gift? Are you utilizing the strength God offers as you serve others?

I am thankful for the ability to create beauty from ordinary food. I am also thankful that God creates beauty in ordinary people. “You make me glad by your deeds, O Lord; I sing for joy at the works of your hands.” (Psalm 92:4 – NIV)

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment