Friday, May 18, 2012

Observations


Last evening was beautiful. So I took a walk through the neighborhood behind Mom’s house. As I walked, I made a few observations. This is what I noticed.

Each yard in this neighborhood looked immaculate. It seemed as if they had just cut the grass, trimmed around each tree or shrub, and edged their respective sidewalks and driveways. And it was Thursday! They were all perfect. Well, all but one. However, the homeowner was out cutting his grass as I walked by. He was going to be just fine with all his neighbors.

Which brings me to my second observation. I love the smell of fresh cut grass.

Again I am amazed at how green everything is here in Ohio. There are small hills beyond this neighborhood filled with towering trees. Very tall trees reaching to the sky.

I noticed a couple of landscaping ideas that I used the camera on my phone to take pictures of. I’m sure they will never be used at my home in Colorado, but I did like them.

The bird call of a morning dove. That sound reminds me of my Grandma and Grandpa Ike. They had plenty of them around their home and I always enjoyed hearing them. Their call has soothed my soul for decades.

Another bird, a tiny robin. Fresh from the nest, he was watching as I walked by. If he didn’t have a few tiny, fluffy feathers remaining on his head, I might not have known that he was so young. He didn’t move. He simply watched. But mama robin was also watching. And squawking. She was being protective of her young one.

And yet another observation. It was one I began hearing before actually seeing. As I neared the area where the public library, community center, and amphitheater converge, I saw who I had been hearing. It was the local school bands performing in this open area. It was enjoyable to sit and listen to a few musical numbers before heading back to Mom’s.

These observations were all from a 45 minute walk.

I thought about my walk with God and His Word. It’s been a much longer walk and I wondered if I made as many observations in a 45 minute session with my God. I wasn’t sure that I did.

So I sat down and read the book of James and these are the observations I made.

  • Trials + Joy = Perseverance.
  • Passing the test of trials results in the prize, the crown of life.
  • Giving into temptation leads to death.
  • Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry.
  • Humbly accept the word planted within.
  • Mercy triumphs over judgment!
  • Faith without action is dead.
  • We praise God with our tongues and then speak unkind words to others.
  • A good life, deeds done in humility comes from wisdom.
  • Wisdom from heaven is pure, peace loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.
  • Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.
  • Submit yourself to God. Resist the devil.
  • Humble yourself before the Lord and He will lift you up.
  • Anyone who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.
  • The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
  • Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

To be honest, these are surface observations. A quick overview of the book of James. I look forward to the fall when I will be able to study this book inside and out.

There are times I feel like I’ve missed people, events, or objects in this world and word in the Bible. I truly don’t mean to do so, but sometimes I’m just not that observant. I pray that God will help me to slow down and see all there is out there. I know it makes walking much more interesting.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment