Thursday, May 17, 2012

Drobny


My Mom gave me a Roomba. One of the early ones from many years ago. It was fascinating. It knew exactly where to head and what to vacuum. I was always amazed at how well it worked…and that I didn’t have to lift a finger to get my carpets vacuumed.

I named my Roomba. His name was Drobny. I had seen an episode of Green Acres where a duck, named Drobny, saved the world from danger. It was a bit farfetched, but I thought my Drobny could do the same. Save me!

Yes, Drobny saved me from added work, stress on my lower back (which is reason my Mom bought me a Roomba in the first place), and expended energy on the task of vacuuming.

So you would have thought with all this extra time and energy on my hands I would have been able to do all kinds of productive things. Things like write. Or study the Bible. Or enjoy my family.

But to be honest, when Drobny was running around each room in my house, I was watching. Because it was so cool! Because I had never seen anything like it! Because the novelty never wore off!

Isn’t that the way most of us are? We get drawn in by the newest item, or the coolest gizmo, or the most ingenious invention that we can’t seem to pull away from it. And before long, we are so enthralled by it that we don’t want to look away.

That’s when we get into trouble.

Proverbs 17:24 says, “A discerning man keeps wisdom in view, but a fool’s eyes wander to the end of the earth.” How foolish we can be when we allow our eyes to lead us in directions that are not in line with God’s will.

In Psalm 119:37, David asks for God’s help with this issue. It is what we should ask as well. “Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.” Satan will always use worthless things of this world to lead our eyes away from God. We must stand strong against Satan in order to keep focused on what God desires.

Psalm 25:15 tell us “My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only he will release my feet from the snare.” Our eyes must stay focused on God in order to keep our feet free and ourselves out of trouble.

By looking directly at God, there is no shame and we are radiant! “Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.” (Psalm 34:5) How much better does it get for our lives to be filled with joy because we have no shame? It is as simple as looking to Him!

And in return, God keeps His eyes on us. “The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry.” (Psalm 34:15) God is looking right back at us. He knows how we are tempted to look away, but He draws us back to His face so that He may hear our cry.

I envision God reaching out to touch my chin to pull my eyes back to His, as if I were a 3 year-old whose attention needs to be held. Sometimes I act like a 3 year old. My eyes darting from temptation to temptation. I am so thankful for a patient Father who gently draws me back to Him.

Drobny “died” several years ago. I was heartbroken. So when I got my Zune (an MP3 player) I named it Drobny II. Drobny II survives today and gives me comfort in my office when I hear my favorite music.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment