Wednesday, April 18, 2012

It's Just A Couch


As part of my office makeover, I wanted to add a couch for comfort, but also to create another bedroom in our home on the main floor. A couch in our family room was a hide-a-bed, so this was the perfect choice to move to my office. It also meant that we got to buy a new couch for that room.

We chose the perfect couch, moved the old couch into my office and then waited. As I waited for the new couch, my mind moved the furniture in the family room around. It was only natural then that my body had to follow. I moved the furniture.


We sat in the family room in this new configuration. It was unusual. It was strange. It was foreign. The more I sat there, the more I disliked this new look. Really disliked it. I was surprised! I am usually a flexible, roll-with-the-punches kind of gal. But not when it came to my family room layout.

Before a half hour passed, I knew what needed to be done. In a matter of minutes, I flipped all the furniture around again to where it belonged.

Oh how I wanted the new look to work. But my old ways would not allow for that. I wanted the room to be the way it always was. No change.

If I view my spiritual life in this same way, I would become stagnant. I would not be following God’s instruction for my life. His plan clearly includes change, new creation, transformation, taking off the old, putting on the new, and spiritual maturity.

Change
In Matthew 18:3, Jesus tells the group that change must occur. That change must include trust and great faith in what God is able to do. “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Without change, the kingdom of heaven is a far off dream.

New Creation
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17) With Christ, we become new. A new creation. He created us. He redeemed us. He fulfills the re-creation of us through His sacrifice.

Transformation
Paul shares with the Corinth church that being transformed into Jesus’ likeness is part of the process. 2 Corinthians 3:18 says, “And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.” Transformation is accompanied by radiance that is from the Lord.

Taking Off the Old, Putting On the New
Ephesians 4:22-24 tells us that we must take off our old lifestyle and put on a new lifestyle. Not just at the moment of salvation, but for always. “You were taught with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by it is deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.”

Spiritual Maturity
“So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.” (Colossians 2:6-8) We move toward spiritual maturity when we live in Christ and are rooted and built up in Christ. Our faith is strengthened so that we are less susceptible of being deceived by false teachings.

We must not become stagnant in our spiritual lives. We must continue to learn, study, and apply all that God’s Word has to say to us. We must also share our story with others. Who have you shared your change of heart with?

The new couch looks perfect where the old couch used to live. The old couch adds great warmth to my office. Now life is as it should be…in the realm of couches.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment