Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Elevator Incident


Last week, my daughter Bethany took my granddaughter Joy to a local museum. Two of her little friends from preschool and their mom joined them. It was a great day and they enjoyed it (as usual when they are together).

The day passed without incident until it was time to head to the upper level of the museum.

They headed to the elevator and somehow, the kids got onto the elevator without the moms. And yes, the doors shut with the kids inside.

Bethany said there was silence for approximately three seconds, and then screaming. From the inside of the elevator. They realized what they had done.

Bethany explained to Joy where the “open door” button should be. Of course, there was no writing on that button. It was the universal symbol for “open door,” but Bethany was able to tell Joy to push that button.

But while Bethany was talking with Joy, one of the kids pressed the “emergency” button, so now from the elevator, crying children and a phone ringing could be heard.

Finally, Joy got the button pressed and the doors opened. Immediately, the trio ran into their mother’s arms. Reunited, the children settled down, but I am pretty sure they will not be running ahead for a while.

There is nothing like being in the arms of someone who loves you. There is such comfort, peace, security, and pleasure in those moments. I know exactly how these children felt when their mother’s embraced them.

I enjoy feeling God’s arms around me too. Knowing that He is there to protect and comfort me just when I need it most is soothing.

Isaiah 40:11 blesses us with comforting words. “He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and he carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.” He gathers. He carries them close to His heart. He gently leads. What a tender Father we have.

Not only is God tender, but we also can know His power. “The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. He will drive out your enemy before you, saying ‘Destroy him!’” (Deuteronomy 33:27) God is there to protect you against your enemies. Completely!

God also desires to pass that strength on to us. Psalm 18:32 says, “It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.” His strength is what gets me through most days. I’m so thankful to have this available to me.


Throughout high school, my best friend Becky, her mother Dodie, and I would sing as a trio. Sometimes in public, but mostly around the piano in their home. One of our favorite songs was “Sheltered in the Arms of God” by Dottie Rambo.

I feel the touch of hands so kind and tender.
They're leading me in the paths that I must trod.
I'll have no fear for Jesus walks beside me
For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.

Soon I shall hear the call from heaven's portals
Come home my child,
It's the last mile you must trod
I'll fall asleep and wake in God's sweet heaven
For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.

Chorus:
So let the storms rage high,
The dark clouds rise,
They won't worry me;
For I'm sheltered safe within the arms of God.
He walks with me,
And naught of earth shall harm me,
For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.[i]

Life is so much easier within the arms of our heavenly Father. Regardless of your struggle today, run into His arms. There you will find all that you’ve been looking for.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

In loving memory of Becky...keep singing my friend.


[i] Sheltered in the Arms of God, Dottie Rambo and Jim Davis, copyright 1969 by PEERMUSIC LTD

No comments:

Post a Comment