Thursday, November 1, 2012

I Did It!

It is November 1. That means, last night was Halloween. On my way into women’s Bible study yesterday morning, I was listening to K-Love. Perhaps you heard the announcer say these words (my paraphrase).

“Whether you are for or against Halloween, here is one thing to think about. Tonight, people will knock on your door. They will be asking you for something. Begging you for something. What is the one thing you can give them?”

I knew immediately the “one thing” I could give. God’s love.

So I stopped by my local office supply store, purchased small labels and proceeded to print 450 labels. The labels read, “God love YOU! John 3:16.” I then put one label on each piece of candy.

As each child came to my home last night, I gave them a piece of God’s love.

You know that’s one of our commands. To make disciples. In Matthew 28:18-20 (NIV), Jesus said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

“Go” is usually the word people focus on. Perhaps we are to go somewhere, but last night these children came to me. So if we focus on “make disciples” we can do that anywhere, anytime. And that is what we are called to do.

Now I’m not saying that every person who received candy at my home last night will turn their lives to Jesus, but I’ve at least planted a seed. It is at least a possibility now.

Paul shared his thoughts on this in 1 Corinthians 3:6-7 (NIV). “I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.”

So you see, I’ve done my little piece, but at least I did something. To be honest, I am ashamed that I haven’t thought to do this until now…and it wasn’t even my idea!

Since my journey to SE Asia, I’ve been more conscious of my American freedoms. Sharing God’s love with others is one of those freedoms.

I’m wondering if each person who comes to my door (you know those solicitors) shouldn’t receive this same message? I’m thinking “YES!” They are coming to me. I have something to share with them.

So what are you willing to do today to “make disciples?” I know it’s a daunting task. I know you may need to step out of your comfort zone. I know you may feel uneasy. But be assured of this. If you choose to do so, Jesus will be with you. Always. He said He would be.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment