Monday, October 29, 2012

The Perfect Plan

I am not as internet savvy as I once thought. I have been working on getting a website up since April. I purchased a domain, have the tools to design a website, and then launch said website. I haven’t been able to navigate through the website builder and have become frustrated. So I work on it a bit, then quit because it isn’t going the way I had hoped.

I was able to get an email address through this website. I love being able to use donna@fullmeasureofjoy.com. However, it doesn’t work some of the time so again, I’m frustrated that I am unable to use something (that I’m paying for by the way) as I hoped. So if you need to connect with me with a time sensitive matter, I would suggest using one of my other email addresses.

My solution? Allow a professional to do it for me…or to at least show me what I’m doing wrong so I can work on it. We’ll see how that goes.

I am thankful that there are other things that I am able to do on my own. Like study God’s Word, pray, or worship God at any point during my day.

I have been getting some “updated” Bible reading plan suggestions this week. Some of them are designed by biblical scholars while others are written by worship leaders. Some are designed for a week or two. Others are for a month.

But here’s the concept that I love. Start now. Don’t wait for the New Year to make a resolution to read God’s Word daily, because that is still 63 days away! And, you know your success rate on resolutions!

You could get a jump start now, try something new, feel successful about it this go round, and by the time the New Year gets here, you’ll be deep into God’s Word with a better understanding of His purpose for your life.

Sometimes we need a little help to get us going with something (like my website). So I’m here to offer some suggestions on how to start a reading plan. Please don’t be overwhelmed by this idea. You can do it.

And if you need further help with this, please don’t hesitate to connect with me. Post a comment here or send me an email at donnasisler@gmail.com. I’d be happy to help you get started!

Perhaps you already have YouVersion on your smart phone. If you do, you are ahead of the game, but maybe you didn’t know it! There are quite a few plans already listed through this application, but they’ve recently added some new ones. Check out these plans to see if there might be one you would use. The beauty is that you’ll receive them daily by email. Just the section you need to read. It really doesn’t get any easier than that. 

Biblegateway.com also has reading plans that you can receive by email. Just sign up and you will get exactly what you ask for.

Of course, for those who would prefer opening your personal Bible, there are plans designed for that. If you Google, “Bible reading plans,” you’ll get a slew of them. Search for the one that fits your lifestyle. One that will fulfill your desire to read through the Bible in a year.

My blog usually has tons of Scripture, but since I write topically, my passages aren’t in any particular order. In my internet searching, I haven’t been able to find a blog dedicated to this purpose…perhaps another task to add to my “to do” list.

Here’s the thing. You need to start somewhere. Just you and God. No middleman. No professional. So I would encourage you to consider this idea. If you’ve never read through the Bible, why not start?

If I live to be 90 years old and read through the Bible each year, I still have the opportunity to read through God’s Word thirty-eight more times (I just told you my age didn’t I?). Remember, this is just reading, not studying. Can you imagine what God can teach me through those readings? I can’t! But I certainly would love the chance to find out.

I’ll close with some passages about God’s Word. Recognize some of the benefits you’ll receive by reading through the Bible. You will be amazed that as you begin this process how much you’ll crave and thirst for more. How your desire to be in God’s presence will deepen because you’ve read His Words. Please don’t let another day go by without hearing your heavenly Father’s message.

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.” (Psalm 119:105 – NIV)

“Jesus answered, ‘It is written: Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” (Matthew 4:4 – NIV)

“For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” (Romans 15:4 – NIV)

“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for ever good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17 – NIV)

“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow: it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12 – NIV)

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment