Sunday, October 28, 2012

Impossible You Say?

November is just three days away. I’ve always looked forward to November. It is the beginning of my favorite time of year. Some call it the holiday season. I call it wonderful!

Some of my favorite people were born in the month of November. My Dad, one of my Grandfathers’, and my youngest daughter all celebrate their day of birth in November. And then, of course, Thanksgiving is in November. November is a great month!

It wasn’t until several years ago that I was enlightened to the fact that November is also National Novel Writer’s Month. NaNoWriMo for short, writers are encouraged to write 50,000 words in 30 days. Since I learned of NaNoWriMo, I’ve written a novel each year. I have been awarded a “winners” badge and the bragging rights to that fact.

I have once again taken a leap of faith and have decided to write yet another novel. But that isn’t all I’ve determined to do during the month of November.

While NaNoWriMo is for fictional writers, I’ve also found a group that gathers the non-fiction writers and encourages them to write a book during the month of November. There’s a book in the back of my mind for this one too.

And then of course, there is my blog. My commitment to write here on a daily basis really keeps me hopping. But I enjoy it so. I learn so much. I feel God leading me in this direction. Full Measure of Joy has become part of who I am.

Is it possible to write this much? It would mean writing nearly 3,500 words daily. In three different directions. Is it possible?

I don’t know.

It does seem that I’m trying to be an over-achiever. That I’ve determined to tackle the impossible.

But I would have to say that I’m joining forces with some of the greatest people in history. People who accepted impossible tasks, followed through, and were successful.

I’m sure you can think of the big ones in Scripture, but what about the less spoken accounts of those who were successful when placed in seeming impossible situations?

People like Leah. Her father tricked a man into marrying her. The problem? Her husband, Jacob, wanted to marry her sister Rachel. She wound up in a situation that seemed impossible. With a man who didn’t want her and who loved her sister more than her.

Such mistreatment, frustration, and loss. God, however, was with Leah.  He saw that she was not loved and opened her womb. Leah bore children for Jacob. In this impossible situation, God showed up.

Leah’s account can be found in Genesis 29:14-31:55. In the end, Leah bore half of Jacob’s sons. Half of the twelve whose descendants became the twelve tribes of Judah. Now I call that successful.

And what about this man? He had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. He stayed by the Pool of Bethesda, waiting for the water to stir. But since there was no one to help him into the pool, someone else always got into the water before him.

Thirty-eight years. Knowing all of those years that it would never change. That he was destined to be lame his entire life. How disappointing. How discouraging. How impossible.

But Jesus had an encounter with this frustrated man. After telling Jesus his story, Jesus spoke words that would change his life. “Get up!” (John 5:8 – NIV) The man did so and was able to walk.

While we do not know how this man’s life was changed, we do know he had another encounter with Jesus. Jesus said to the man, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” (John 5:14 – NIV)

Jesus was teaching this man that being spiritually disabled was far worse than the physical implications of his ailment. Spiritual success will always trump physical success.

This man’s Scriptural account can be found in John 5:1-15. In this impossible situation, Jesus showed up.

I don’t know how God is going to show up during the month of November, but I can guarantee He will.

I’ll be encouraged by a verse or passage of Scripture. I’ll be inspired by an exceptionally beautiful sunrise or sunset. I’ll receive a boost of energy from a new piece of information or knowledge. God will show up.

I just need to be looking for Him!

Perhaps I will miss some of the goals I’ve set for November. But it won’t be because I didn’t try. And it won’t be because I tried it on my own. There isn’t much I can do without God.

There’s an old tune I remember singing as a child. “Nothing is Impossible.” As you read through these lyrics, remember that God is going to show up during the impossible times of your life. Just keep looking for Him.

Nothing is Impossible

Nothing is impossible when you put your trust in God;
Nothing is impossible when you're trusting in His Word.
Hearken to the voice of God to thee;
"Is there anything too hard for Me?"
Then put your trust in God alone and rest upon His Word;
For ev'rything, O, ev'rything, yes ev'rything is possible with God.[i]

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna


[i] Nothing is Impossible, Words and Music by Eugene L. Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment