Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Path

On an excursion in SE Asia, we wandered into some out-of-the-way places. In fact, the only way to one of these locations was to follow a path. A narrow path.



This path was on a hillside. To the right was the steep slope going up the hill. To the left was the steep slope going down the hill and into a rice paddy. Needless to say, a single misstep could have sent any one of us down that slope.

As we walked along in single file, I thought of several passages of Scripture that mention feet on a path. The main verse I thought of was, “Your word is lamp to my feet and light for my path.” (Psalm 119:105 – NIV) In that moment when my footing could have been disastrous, God’s Word was a light for me to follow.

I also thought of the verse when Micah speaks of his desire to walk along God’s path. He knew that by learning what God had to say, he would be able to follow the path. It is the same for us. “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob. He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths.” (Micah 4:2 – NIV)

And on the Scripture cards (I will share the value of these cards in another blog) I carried with me throughout my journey, I found three more passages that spoke to this topic.

“When I said, ‘My foot is slipping,’ your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.” (Psalm 94:18-19 – NIV) How blessed we are to know that God’s love is supporting us. We know that sometimes we do slip. Sometimes we manage to fall down that slope into sin. But with God’s love supporting us, we have a greater chance of remaining on the path.

“For you, O Lord, have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before the Lord in the land of the living.” (Psalm 116:8-9 – NIV) Deliverance. This passage speaks of three specific things we can be delivered from as we walk with God. Deliverance from the death of our souls. Deliverance from tears in our eyes. Deliverance from stumbling feet.

“Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.” (Jude 1:24-25 - ESV) If you’ve read my blog, you’ve seen these verses before. As we allow God to reign in our lives, He keeps us from stumbling. He keeps our feet steady and on the path.

Unfortunately, we sometimes take our eyes off the path. We take our eyes off of Jesus and then the inevitable happens. We stumble. We fall. Sometimes right into the rice paddies of sin below. But we are also assured that Jesus is right there to lend a helping hand to get us back on the path and guide our steps once again.

I urge you today to keep your eyes focused on the path set before you. Follow the Guide. Place your feet directly into the footprints of Jesus. By doing so, you’re guaranteeing a lighted path and steady feet.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment