Friday, October 12, 2012

Scripture Cards

Before I left for SE Asia, our team leader encouraged us to write out Scripture cards to carry throughout the journey. She had written meaningful verses or passages of Scripture onto 3x5 index cards. The print was small and each verse was a different color so that she could separate them easily.


I began gathering verses. I read through the Book of Psalm to find all sorts of verses. I pulled my favorite verses. In my day-to-day Bible study, I would find verses that I could use. Some were shown to me through preaching or Bible teaching. This in itself was an amazing process.

I then typed each verse into a word document (the font is pretty small, but I’m still able to read it easily). From there, I created sections that were the size of a 3x5 card. I highlighted each verse and gave it a different color. The final step was to print this document onto cardstock and cut them to the right dimensions.


Then the real excitement began. I started using my Scripture cards. I read them as we landed in SE Asia. I read from them each morning and evening. I carried them with me throughout the day and was able to pull them out as needed.

What I found was that I could have God’s Word with me at all times and that meant more to me than I could have suspected.

As I prepared to leave SE Asia, I offered many unused items to our host family. Lotions, shampoo and conditioner, wet wipes, and other toiletries. But I also offered my Scripture cards. I knew I wouldn’t have them on my return flight, but I thought they might be of more value there. They accepted them.

So upon my return, a new set of Scripture cards were printed and once again, carried as I go. I read the passages I thought relevant before my service trip and realize how much God’s Hands were upon those selections. Not only for my journey, but for my everyday life.

Here are some of my favorite verses from my cards.

“My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.” (Psalm 62:1 – NIV)

“I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations. I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you established your faithfulness in heaven itself.” (Psalm 89:1-2 – NIV)

“The Lord is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.” (Psalm 28:8 – NIV)

“The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice.” (Psalm 97:1 – NIV)

“The idols of the nations are silver and gold, made by the hands of men. They have mouths, but cannot speak, eyes, but cannot see they have ears, but cannot hear, nor is there breath in their mouths. Those who make them will be like them, and so will all who trust in them.” (Psalm 15:15-18 – NIV)

“You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing.” (Psalm 145:16 – NIV)

“Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.” (Colossians 4:2-4 – NIV)

“In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.” (2 Timothy 2:20-21 – NIV)

Why not start your own set of Scripture cards? If you aren’t proficient on a computer, that’s okay. You can use 3x5 index cards and write verses in your own handwriting. Perhaps you might think of another way to accomplish this. However you do it, why not try it?

Just think…while you’re waiting for a doctor’s appointment, or picking up your kids from school, or at the DMV, or wherever you’re waiting, you can pull out Scripture cards to read. You could even read God’s Word while sitting at a traffic light!

Now don’t confuse this concept with actually picking up a copy of the Bible and reading or studying it. That must also be part of our daily routine. This idea is for times when you’re on the go and can read a verse or two from God’s Word.

I hope this excites you as much as it excites me. I love God’s message and enjoy all that He has to say to me (and you). Which leads to yet another verse. “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.”(Psalm 119:18 – NIV)

I pray that God’s Word, His Bible, would bring joy to your heart as you read it regularly. I know that is exactly what happened to me!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment