Friday, August 10, 2012

God's Passport


I received my passport in yesterday’s mail. It was very exciting. It is so beautiful! Each page has a photograph of America’s past events or unique features from our nation. My photo is one of the best ever taken of me…that made me happy. I actually have a passport!


I am one step closer to achieving my goal of making a difference in SE Asia!

A brochure from the U.S. Department of State accompanied my passport. It begins with these words. “With your U.S. passport, the world is yours!”

I understand their standpoint, and I fully intend to use this passport to see the world. But David reminds us, “The earth is the Lord’s and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it.” (Psalm 24:1 – NIV) The world belongs to God. He created it. It’s His.

God loves this world. He loves the people of this world. So much so, that He was willing to sacrifice His Son for us. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” (John 3:16-17 – NIV)

However, while we are here, we are to make an impact in this world. Matthew 5:14 (NIV) says, “You are the light of the world.” Jesus tells the crowds that their “light” should shine so that others could see their good works and glorify God. We are to do the same. If the world doesn’t see God in you, it’s time to ask yourself “why not?”

We are also called to go into the world. “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.” (Mark 16:15 – NIV) We must preach and teach the good news to all creation. Whether it is our next door neighbor or a group of people on the other side of the world, we must go.

While we are in this world, it won’t be easy. Jesus told the disciples at one point that it wouldn’t be. John 16:33 (NIV) contains these words of Jesus. “I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Yes we will face trials and suffering, but we too know the Overcomer. And because we know the Overcomer, we overcome this world and all its troubles.

“This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” (1 John 5:3-5 – NIV)

What beautiful words! Victory is ours when we believe in Jesus Christ!

Passport – check!

Go and share (mission) – check!

Overcome – check!

Victory – check!

Financial support – [insert buzzer sound]

I do not have all the funds needed to go on my service trip. So once again, I am asking for your help. I would love to be able to add your name to my list as a supporter. As someone who feels the great burden of sharing God’s Name with those who have never heard the name Jesus.

I would also love to add your name to my prayer warrior group. Without my prayer warriors, I would not be able to consider this trip. So please let me know if you’d be willing to join me on this journey.

I have a passport. The world is mine. Watch out world, here I come!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment