Thursday, August 9, 2012

Awake

I’ve always been an early riser. Like a 4 a.m. early riser. During my college days, I would wake at 4 a.m. and would study in the dorm hallway until the cafeteria opened. I was always one of the first people in the cafeteria each morning. Delicious coffee and yummy coffee cake anticipated my arrival each day.


Not much has changed. Most mornings I am able to sleep in until at least 5 a.m. But sometimes my body reverts to its original settings.

I wrote a Haiku several months ago for a blog challenge…it really tells the tale of why I wake early.

Middle of the night,
Awake and mind a-swirling.
No more sleep for me!

Once my mind starts, I’m awake. I now know that if I get up and write, my mind will be relieved of its meanderings and I might be able to get a quick nap in before the rest of the family wakes.

I am not the only person who has had this syndrome throughout history. The Bible is full of words by those who woke early.

David wrote several verses on this topic. But David also knew how God sustained his life. “And I—in righteousness I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.” (Psalm 17:15 – NIV) I wonder how many times I wake and the first thing I think of is seeing God’s likeness. It isn’t as often as it should be.

David also was awakened by fear. When his enemies surrounded him, he penned these words. “I lie awake; I have become like a bird alone on a roof.” (Psalm 102:7 – NIV) At times we feel alone and under attack as well, but God is with us. In all circumstances. In all things. God is there and will comfort, guide, and strengthen as needed.

David knew this as well. In Psalm 3:5 (NIV) David says, “I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.” God will sustain us. Through everything. We must trust that He will do so.

Isaiah shared some beautiful words in Isaiah 50:4b (NIV). “He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.” How pleasant it would be to be awakened by God’s voice instead of an alarm clock! And we are to waken with eager ears. Waiting to hear what God has to teach us.

David also reminds us that “Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain…In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat—for he grants sleep to those he loves.” (Psalm 127: 1-2 – NIV) When God is the foundation of our lives, we are able to rest and sleep in His peace. Because of His great love, we are able to sleep through those could-be restless nights.

I can’t end this post without speaking to spiritual awakening. Whether it’s the first time you’re committing to Jesus or the 50th, our souls must be awakened to God’s Word, His plan of salvation and His wonderful grace. Please don’t miss out on this precious gift He is so willing to share with you. Make the commitment, give your life to Jesus, and stick to it.

Phillips, Craig and Dean are fantastic song writers and musicians. I could listen to their praise music for hours. One of my favorite songs Randy Phillips wrote is “Awake My Soul.”[i] I listen to this song over and over during times of change, fatigue, loneliness, or spiritual sluggishness. Here are the words.

When I close my eyes
I can see your glory
When I raise my hands
I can touch your face

When I bow my knees
I stand before you
Then Christ is formed me

When I lose myself
I reflect your image
When I break my will
Then I am whole

When I give my all
I find life everlasting
Then Christ is formed in me

Awake my soul
Prepare an entrance for your glory
And let my heart become a throne for you to dwell
And when I need your Holy Spirit more than life itself
Then Christ is formed in me

As you read through these words, allow them to pierce your heart. Allow God to awaken your soul to what He is asking of you today. Open your heart for the King of Glory to take up residence. Be transformed! You’ll want to be awake for it all.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna


[i] Awake My Soul, Phillips, Craig, and Dean, Randy Phillips, 2004 Integrity’s Hosanna! Music

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Donna! I found it ironic that the title of your post was the one thing i didn't want to be this morning! I am a night owl, always have been. Mornings are not my deal. Lately i've not been sleeping until my alarm. I've been waking up before it goes off, and it has annoyed me greatly! However, after reading today's post, i now have a new perspective, maybe it has been God's voice. Instant attitude adjustment. Now when i am awakened before the alarm, i will listen for his voice and see what he has in store for me. I just pray i will remember that in the morning, and not be too tired and willing to grumble! :) Again, thank you Donna, for your willingness to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl,
    Thank you (again) for your comments. It means so much to me when I hear from people who read my blog. I write because I enjoy writing and I believe it is what God is calling me to, but knowing that it makes a difference in someone's life really impacts my life. So thank you...and hope you can get a nap in today! :-)
    Grace,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete