Thursday, August 30, 2012

Different


Purse shopping is discouraging. For me, this has become one of the difficult tasks of my existence. I search for the perfect size, shape, texture, and even compartments. And if this isn’t enough, I must find a purse of a color or pattern that I really like because I will live with for months, perhaps years.

I also must admit that I have returned more purses than I have kept through the years. I believe the one purchased will fit the criteria, but as soon as I place all of the purse items into the newest one I find that it really isn’t.


So, recently I went to a local department store to search for a new purse. In the midst of all that were there, I found one that I thought just might do the trick. I headed to the checkout and placed my newest prize on the counter.

The young, almost 20 year-old male cashier looked at my purchase and then to my cart. The newest purchase was a red purse. The purse in my cart was also red. He was confused and asked, “What’s the difference?”

Well of course there were many difference. The size. The shape. The strap. The compartments. The color. I knew these differences, but this young man could not understand the purpose of my purchase.

I have to ask the question, “What’s the difference in your life?” What makes you different from your cubicle mate or your co-worker? What makes you different on the ball field? What makes you different on the expressway? What makes you different in this world?

I can tell you some of the things that make me different from the world. Here are some of them.

My Lord
When I accepted Jesus as the Lord of my life, I had to turn it all over to Him. Everything. Oh there are times I take some of it back and then I mess up, but I’ve learned that it is really much better if He is Lord of all.

My Spirit
God’s Holy Spirit lives within me and because of that, I am able to live more like I should. You see on my own, I allow my sinful nature to have complete control. With God’s Spirit, I have His control.

My Outlook
Because I am a follower of Jesus, I have a beautiful home waiting for me. I have hope that one day I will spend eternity with Jesus in the heaven He has prepared. Yes, this world is not my home. But until then, I will live differently in this world.

My Mission
My mission is Jesus’ mission. To make disciples. To teach His message. To share the Gospel. When my mission is to spread God’s message (of love, grace, forgiveness, acceptance), others will see that I am different from the rest of the world.

My Attitude
As a Christian, my attitude must be like Christ’s. Humble and not self-seeking. I must have a servant attitude. I must not think more highly of myself than I should. By keeping my attitude in check, I am able to serve Jesus to the best of my ability and live differently in this world.

There is a difference. Not just in the purse I purchased, but in my life as well. There are lists of ways for us to live in God’s Word. Sections of Scripture that teach us how to live different lives. If you have a chance, read through these passages and see where you’re missing the mark. Ask God to help you with these areas so that others may see that you are different.

Galatians 5:16-26; Ephesians 4:17-5:21; Colossians 3:1-17; 1 Thessalonians 4:1-12; Titus 3:1-11; and 1 Peter 1:13-2:3.

I didn’t return the purse. I have carried it cross-country and I think it might be okay for this season of my life. For that young clerk, yes, there is a difference. I pray that he saw that difference in me.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment