Sunday, July 1, 2012

Darkness


I’m not crazy about darkness. My inner “there’s something lingering in that darkness and whatever it is wants to get me” syndrome takes over. I’m a scaredy cat at heart. I know it. My family knows it.

Growing up, my siblings and I wanted to watch Dark Shadows. The original television program Dark Shadows. However, our Dad didn’t want us to. But when Dad wasn’t around, we figured out a way to do so.

One of us would sit at the kitchen table where the television was visible to “stand guard” while the other two watched from the comfort of the family room couch. If the one standing guard saw the car pull into the driveway, scattering took place. The television would be turned off and we’d all head in different directions to act as if we had never viewed the show of horrors.

My siblings knew that show scared me, but I continued to watch it. I suspect part of me didn’t want my siblings to know just how frightened I was, but in retrospect, I think I was drawn to its darkness in some way.

In 2002, Mr. Kinkade was interviewed by the San Jose Mercury News and this is what he said about his technical skills, but also the use of light to symbolize the divine.

"I'm a warrior for light. With whatever talent and resources I have, I'm trying to bring light to penetrate the darkness many people feel."

Jesus spoke very similar words as He began His ministry. “The people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.” (Matthew 4:16 – NIV) Jesus was and is that Light.

When we accept Jesus as our Savior, reflecting God’s light should be one of our goals. We have the Light within us. A great Light. A Light that has broken through the darkness and penetrated the deepest, darkest crevices of our souls.

That Light has exposed sin in our lives. That Light has shown us the despair of sin and the hope of salvation. That Light continues to reflect God’s goodness within us.

2 Corinthians 4:6 says, “For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the ace of Christ.” God has placed this light within us. To replace the darkness and so that we might know God through Jesus.

There is a section in the book of Ephesians titled, “Living as Children of Light.” Yes, we once lived in darkness, but we must no longer live that way. We must “Live as children of light…and find out what pleases the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:8b; 10 – NIV) We are called to be light in this world. We must be warriors for the Light.

Just as Jesus brought grace, hope and love to our lives, He can do the same for those living with the weight, care, and despair of sin.

With the Light, we must illuminate the world. It must be our goal to share the Gospel with each person.

1 Peter 2:9 (NIV) tells us that “You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” He has brought us from that darkness for a purpose. To declare God’s praises. To share what He has done for you!

I pray that as my days go on, that others will be able to see God’s light within me. I pray that with God’s help, I can illuminate the dark path so that others might be able to run to Jesus.

Mr. Kinkade, I believe you accomplished your goal. I believe you brought light to the masses. Thank you for using and sharing your talent with the world.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment