Monday, July 2, 2012

Behind


I was going through my emails on Sunday afternoon. I had a boat load of them.

Blog posts I intend to read, but don’t have time at the moment…these continue to stay in my inbox until I have a spare moment to skim them for the shards of wisdom found in each one.

Notes from a faithful group of fellow writers that I can’t seem to find time to be part of…these will probably continue to grow until I finally say, “I want to be part of this group, but I can’t seem to find the time to commit.”

Reminders from my “personal trainer” of what I need to do on this particular day…these get moved to the “personal” folder of my email, because someday I will start with day one (today I filed day 205 away for future reference).

My recent favorite however, was an email of a blog post written by one of my favorite authors and speakers, Cindy Dagnan. Since her name caught my attention, I decided to read it.

It was about rejection. Rejection from publishers and how it affects us. But then she said, “As Christian writers, that rejection can be magnified, for if we are doing this right, our goal is to make His name famous. His alone.”[i]

Yes! As a Christian writer there is more at stake than just some words on paper. My message is God’s message. My goal must be to make His name famous.

I join a loyal group Christian authors from Moses to Max Lucado. From Paul to Priscilla Shirer. From Luke to C.S. Lewis. From King David to Cindy Dagnan. Everyone who joins this group has the same goal. For God to be magnified and for ourselves to be diminished. I cannot and must not take this task lightly.

The unknown author of 2 Samuel knew how to magnify God above himself. 2 Samuel 22:47 (NIV) says, “The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior!”

David knew this skill as well. He exalts God throughout the book of Psalm. Listen to these select verses.

“But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, ‘The Lord be exalted!’” (Psalm 40:16 – NIV)

“Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth.” (Psalm 57:5 – NIV)

“Let them praise the name of the Lord, for his name alone is exalted; his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.” (Psalm 148:13 – NIV)

Isaiah joined the exaltation parade by raising God above his own agenda. In Isaiah 12:4 (NIV), he says, “Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted.”

And finally, Paul exalted Christ in his ministry. “I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.” (Philippians 1:20 – NIV)

You may not be an author, but you also are called to magnify Jesus in all that you do. Others must see this exalted Christ within you. In your speech, in your actions, in your day-to-day living. May His Name be exalted above all.

I did find some humor during my email excursion. Some of the emails were very outdated. Another task for another day. Clearing out those emails that have no relevance to my life at this moment. I guess my lesson is to read my email when I receive it!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna


[i] http://wordservewatercooler.com/author/cindydagnan/

No comments:

Post a Comment