Monday, June 4, 2012

Psst!


I have a special way to call my granddaughter Joy. When she hears “psst,” she knows I want to talk to her.

My grandson Percy has learned that when I say “psst, psst,” I want to get his attention.

It doesn’t matter where Joy or Percy are in the house, they seem to hear my voice and they stop what they are doing to see what I want.


I found a passage of Scripture that tells us about God’s voice. Let’s see what Psalm 29 (NIRV) describes.

Praise
The first section of this Psalm tells us that we are to praise God. We are to worship the Lord because of His beauty and holiness.

“Praise the Lord, you mighty angels.
Praise the Lord for his glory and strength.
Praise the Lord for the glory that belongs to him.
Worship the Lord because of his beauty and holiness.”

Praise is more than just singing worship songs on Sunday mornings. We are to praise God with our entire lives. With everything that we do. With each word that we speak. With each thought we think.

God’s Voice
The second section of this Psalm gives a description of God’s voice. Notice how powerful and mighty it is.

“The voice of the Lord is heard over the waters.
The God of glory thunders.
The Lord thunders over the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is powerful.
The voice of the Lord is majestic.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees.
The Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon into pieces.
He makes the mountains of Lebanon skip like a calf.
He makes Mount Hermon jump like a young wild ox.”

The voice of the Lord strikes
with flashes of lightning.
The voice of the Lord shakes the desert.
The Lord shakes the Desert of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord twists the oak trees.
It strips the forests bare.
And in his temple everyone cries out, "Glory!"


I’ve never done a study on the voice of God. I’ve studied His names. I’ve studied His attributes. I’ve studied His commands. What I do know is that we are to know God’s voice. When we hear His voice we are to respond. Respond with repentance, resistance to temptation, obedience, a good deed, or being still to name a few.

This section clearly shows the power in God’s voice. Like that of a thunderstorm with bolts of lightning. Storm chasers run toward thunderous weather. That’s how we should approach God’s voice. Run toward it. Embrace it. Understand it. Know it.

The Lord
Finally this passage concludes with what the Lord does. What His role in His creation is.

“The Lord on his throne rules over the flood.
The Lord rules from his throne as King forever.
The Lord gives strength to his people.
The Lord blesses his people with peace.”

The Lord. Not just the Lord of the world or the universe, but the Lord of my life is described above. When He is King forever in my heart, He rules, He gives strength, and He blesses me with peace. Why wouldn’t I want God to be my Lord? That is exactly what I need when I face trials and temptations.

I am amazed that Joy and Percy respond to my voice the way they do. My quiet “psst” breaks through all the noise. It breaks through the concentration on a game or activity. It breaks through a television program.

Do you hear God’s voice? He’s saying, “psst?”

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment