Tuesday, June 5, 2012

From Memory?


I am in a skit every day this week for Vacation Bible School at my church. We are stranded on a deserted island…hoping to get home by the end of the week.

My character recites Bible verses. Lots of Bible verses. Under most circumstances, it would be great. The problem is that the director wants me to quote these verses from the New International Readers Version.

I know them ALL by the King James Version or the New American Standard Version!


So instead of “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path,” I’m supposed to say, “Your word is like a lamp that shows me the way. It is like a light that guides me.”


The one verse that I really like in the New International Readers Version is 2 Timothy 3:16-17. It says, “God has breathed life into all of Scripture. It is useful for teaching us what is true. It is useful for correcting our mistakes. It is useful for making our lives whole again. It is useful for training us to do what is right. By using Scripture, a man of God can be completely prepared to do every good thing.”

So, “God’s Word is useful for teaching us what is true.” Knowing God’s truth helps us to determine how to distinguish between truth and falsehood in our world. Satan tries so hard to keep us from knowing right from wrong. Learning God’s truth will always lead us in the right direction.

“God’s Word is useful for correcting our mistakes.” Knowing what God’s Word says about His commands helps us to stick to doing things correctly. Mistakes happen. God’s Word shows us how to make things right and how to continue to work at following His commands.

“God’s Word is useful for making our lives whole again.” Oh how God wants this in our lives. He created us to desire Him and Him alone. Without God, we are empty. With God, we are complete. Filled. Whole.

“God’s Word is useful for training us to do what is right.” Again, when we know God’s commands and do our best to follow them, we can live our lives doing what is right.

The last section of this passage says, “By using Scripture, a man of God can be completely prepared to do every good thing.” Yes! Just by learning, memorizing, and implementing God’s Word into my life, I am prepared to do good things for God’s Kingdom.

Memorizing Scripture has never been easy for me and maybe the verses I quote this week will be a little of each version, plus some paraphrasing on my part. I pray that God’s message will be clear through each skit and that He receives all the glory for the week.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment