Sunday, May 6, 2012

SASH


Mom is home from the hospital after her second back surgery and battle with a staph infection. A home care nurse comes in to change the dressing on her back. Her nurse takes her vital signs and draws blood as needed. The nurse also gives her an antibiotic through her PICC line.

Since the nurse would not be coming into her home daily, I was told that I would need to learn the process of giving her antibiotic.

On the first day, I watched as the nurse administered the medication. I studied the papers left behind. Then, it was my turn. Yesterday I gave Mom her antibiotic.

An acronym was given to remember the steps of the process. SASH.


 S is for saline. Flush with saline.


A is for Antibiotic. This is the medication Mom needs to rid her body of the staph infection. Medication is to be administered over a 6-10 minute period.

S is for saline. Again, flush with saline.

H is for heparin. Heparin is used to prevent blood clots. Flush with Heparin.

At each step of the process, I was thankful for this acronym. It certainly helped me to remember what came next and where I was in the process.

I decided I should come up with my own acronym using SASH. So here’s my version.

S stands for seek. Psalm 119:10 tells us, “I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.” Seeking God is the first step in the process to drawing near to Him.

A stands for accept. “Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.” (James 1:21) After seeking, we need to accept what God has to say. His Word is the only word that will save you.

S stands for share. Philemon 6 says, “I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.” We have accepted the Good News! We must share that Good News with others.

H stands for hope. “For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” (Romans 15:4) Hope will keep us going through all the hardships, all the trials, and all the temptations of this world. God’s Scriptures teaches us that our hope is in Jesus and Jesus alone.

Mom had great trust in my ability to follow directions and give her the antibiotics correctly.

We too must place our trust in God to keep His promises.

His promise of unfailing love.  “But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.” (Psalm 13:5)

His promise to never forsake us. “Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.” (Psalm 9:10)

His promise to be our refuge. “Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heats to him for God is our refuge.” (Psalm 62:8)

Trust Him. He will give you more than you could imagine. Joy, peace, hope, and power. “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

2 comments:

  1. Very original. I like your acronym, and the way you lead into it.
    Hope your mother's well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane...Mom is feeling better, but still has a few more weeks of recovery. Thanks for asking. Take care!

    ReplyDelete