Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Jury Duty


I am heading to jury duty this morning. It takes about 45 minutes to get to the courthouse. I’ll sit and wait for as long as they tell me I must. And at the end of the day, I may or may not be chosen to sit on the jury.

I haven’t been called for jury duty since the early 90’s. That case was settled out of court and I didn’t even have to go to the courthouse.

Each person in my household has been called in the past few years. I was very surprised and excited when I received my notice.
 
Yes, it will be inconvenient, but I feel it is something I am capable of and should do as part of my freedom and citizenship of the United States.

I have some privileges and duties as a citizen of God’s Kingdom as well.

Ephesians 2:19 and Philippians 3:20 show us that we are citizens of God’s Kingdom.

“Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God’s people and members of God’s household.”

“But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Titus 3:1-11 gives us an idea of how we are to live in this world as citizens of heaven.

“Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.

At one time, we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another.

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.”

This list contains things we should and shouldn’t be doing. Being subject to the laws of the land, being peaceable, showing true humility are just some of the things we are to do. We should set aside foolishness, disobedience, and envy. This list goes on as well.

And the reason is so that we can stay focused on what we should stay focused on. Doing good. We are to devote ourselves to doing what is good.

So for now I’m thinking of jury duty as doing what is good. It for certain is doing what is right. It may be a long day, but in the end, the reward will be greater than the sacrifice.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment