Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Follow


I must confess there have been a few times when I didn’t feel like writing anything for this blog. Days when I was overly tired. Days when I was emotionally spent. Days when I felt lazy.

I’ll also admit there have been a few days when I had no idea what I was going to write. Days when there was nothing in my head. Days when the list of ideas for blogs simply weren’t interesting to me. Days when I sat before a blank screen wondering what could possibly be so interesting to others. Days when I wanted to go one direction and couldn’t make it work.

But I’ll also admit it was on those days that God showed up in the biggest way. Days when He showed me exactly what to write. Days when He brought to mind the best words in the right order for someone to read. Days when I might not have written anything unless He was smack dab in the middle of it.

It’s on these days that I realize who is really in charge of this blog and my writing. It’s God.

Do you ever wonder about God’s leading in your life? Do you think it is possible? If so, let me share a few passages with you to see how God does work in our lives and how we can be open to following His direction.

It would be wonderful if God was as visible to us as He was to Israel during their journey in the wilderness. He led them by day by a pillar of cloud and at night by a pillar of fire. (Exodus 13:20-22) But the interesting thing in these verses if that it says that “the Lord went ahead of them in” each of these pillars. He was there, but He went before them. Leading them. Directing their path.

God isn’t that visible today. Instead, God urges us to use His Holy Spirit and His Holy Words to guide us on the right path. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” Acknowledging God is the first step to understanding His leading.

Then we need to ask God to lead us through His wisdom. Psalm 145:18 says, “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.”

And Luke 11:9-10 encourages us to “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” When we ask God to lead and guide us, He will do so. All we need to do is ask.

After we’ve asked for guidance, we need to be open to instruction. We need to listen and accept instruction from God. “I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.” (Psalm 16:7)

Psalm 32:8 says, “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.” What a blessing from God when we accept His instruction!

The next step is to follow. Follow God’s lead. Isaiah 48: 17 tells us, “This is what the Lord says—your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; ‘I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.’”

We hear the words of Jesus in John 16:13. “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.”

Jesus also says in John 8:12, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

When we are open to following God’s lead, we will be in the light. That light will illuminate the path, the direction, the way we should go and it will be clear.

The benefits of following God’s lead are a great encouragement. “The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.” (Isaiah 58:11)

Who wouldn’t enjoy refreshment and satisfaction from God? I know there is nothing like it and without God’s guidance, I would feel parched. Empty. Lethargic.

So I’ve committed Full Measure of Joy to God. I’ve learned to follow His lead. I’ve given all of it over to His control. And I claim the promise in Proverbs 16:3. “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.”

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment