Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Team


You read about my Mom yesterday. She is an amazing woman. My siblings and I are so blessed to be able to call her “Mother.” Again, today I ask for your prayers.




 I left the hospital last night to head to her little apartment for the evening. In thinking about today’s blog post, I asked her what she wanted me to write about. She thought a moment, and then said, “About the people who care for us when we are ill. About the people who keep us well.”


The doctors, nurses, aides, and all the staff at the hospital could be included in these two statements. It takes the entire team to give the care needed for healing.

Of course, some have more education than others and perhaps feel inferior, but it does take a group of people.

There are some good teams and bad teams in Scripture. Some that worked well together and some that did not. But from the beginning of time, we see the importance of getting along as a group.

Tower of Babel
In the beginning, everyone on earth spoke “one language and a common speech.” Genesis 11:1) This group of people got together to build a great tower that reached to the heavens in order for them to make a name for themselves.

That wasn’t to be. God came into the picture. He confused their language so they could not understand one another.

The result was that the tower was not completed, new languages were created, and the people were scattered throughout the earth.

David and Goliath
King Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified at this giant of a man sent out from the Philistine army to battle. (1 Samuel 17)He was large. He was taunting. He was confident in himself.

40 days passed. Each day Goliath would come out and yell at the Israelites. Each day, no one would come forward. The entire team had lost confidence in God.

Until David arrived. He volunteered to fight the giant.

With his sling shot, five round stones, and God, he engaged in battle with Goliath. And the team of God and David won the battle. Now that is a team!

Paul and Barnabas
Here was a great evangelistic team. They had preached the Gospel and were able to be great witnesses for Christ. However, there was a disagreement. (Acts 15:36-41)

Barnabas wanted to take John Mark with them. Paul did not. They had “such a sharp disagreement that they parted company.”

Barnabas took John Mark to Cyprus.

Paul chose Silas and they went to Syria and Cilicia.

Each team strengthened the churches they visited.

There were great teams and not so great teams. There were leaders and followers. There were workers and slackers. The Bible is full of them.

But the one thing in common for successful teams was when God was allowed to be the leader of the team. Through prayer, obedience, and surrender, the team of God and I are more powerful and successful than imaginable. With God as my partner, I can do anything. Anything!

Today is going to be another long day. But with God, I know I can make it through. With God, I will be okay when I fall asleep tonight. With God, I’m prepared for battle.

God and me.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment