Friday, April 27, 2012

Blinders

I’ve mentioned that living on the “prairie” in eastern Colorado has brought with it some excitement. It was a beautiful fall day. The front door was open and a fresh breeze was flowing through the house.  At one point, I looked outside and a large hot air balloon filled the entire doorway.

It was one of the colorful ones and it was landing just across the street from our house. I grabbed my camera and headed outside to take some pictures.

There were a number of our neighbors outside checking out this unusual site, just as I was. One of them said, “Did you see the one behind your house?”

“No I didn’t!” I replied.

I turned and headed back through the house. When I got to the kitchen, I could see it through the window. I then went to the back yard. Sure enough, there was another hot air balloon landing in the field directly behind our house.

I took a lot of pictures that day. I watched the entire process of landing the balloon to folding the balloon and loading it onto the trailer.

There were a few things that really surprised me. First of all, how large these balloons were. I had never been that close to a hot air balloon before and was impressed by its size.

Secondly, I didn’t realize how many people could fit inside the gondola of a hot air balloon. I suppose there are different sizes, but this gondola held 8 people. More people than I really thought it could hold.

Thirdly, I was amazed that I missed the balloon in my back yard. The most obvious one was the one I overlooked.

Perhaps that is the way we are with our lives. I know that in my past, I’ve been so busy with ministry duties, that I’ve missed seeing people who were hurting. People who needed someone to talk to. People who need to hear words of encouragement.

I’ve walked around with “blinders” on and have just ignored people. That part of my life is finished. I know that my eyes must be open and see people the way Jesus sees them.

God asks us to live our lives a certain way. Micah 6:8 says, “He has sown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”

God requires that we love mercy. We are to see others through God’s eyes. We are to love others the way God loves them.

I now pray that my eyes would be open to the cries of those I encounter. I pray that my eyes would see people as Jesus sees them. I pray that I would not miss a thing.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment