Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My “To Do” List


Last week I went to lunch with my best friend, Lori. We went to a local Chinese restaurant and had a delicious and pleasant meal. At the end, as usual, we received fortune cookies. This is what mine said:

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Of course, I kept mine. I knew it would wind up in my blog at some point. And here it is. The idea that if I do something, I am more apt to get it. To understand what it is I’m doing.

This got me to thinking about the things that we are to be “doing” as a Christian. I’ve compiled a list…not an exhaustive one by any means, but still something we can check to see how we are doing with these.

So what are we to be doing?

Make Disciples
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19-20)

Good
“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.” (Galatians 6:9-10)

Be Holy
“But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: ‘Be holy, because I am holy.’” (1 Peter 1:15-16)

Stand Firm
“Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.” (1 Corinthians 16:13) [don’t overlook the others in this short verse]

Encourage
Encourage one another daily, as long as it is call Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.” (Hebrews 3:13)

Sing
Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:19b)

Rejoice!
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” (Philippians 4:4)

Shine
“Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16)

Love
“Do everything in love.” (1 Corinthians 16:14)

As I said earlier, this is not an exhaustive “to do” list…there are still many, many more to add. But this was a good start. Maybe you could start your own “to do” list. What you are to be doing.

Most of the fortunes I’ve received at Chinese restaurants aren’t worth reading, much less something to take to heart. I was surprised by this one and was thankful it could be used to bring glory to God. Now if I could only say “Mother’s Day” in Chinese! Mŭ qīn jié?

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment