Saturday, November 10, 2012

No Good Thing

Thanksgiving is quickly approaching. Since I live cross country from my family, I miss the family gatherings during this special season of the year. Remembering get-togethers of years past with grandparents, even great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and any other extended family who could join us brings joy to my heart. And I would be remiss not to mention the good friends that were invited to join my loving family.


Of course, there was always food. The best food around. I come from a long line of excellent cooks on both sides of my family and thinking of the platters and bowls filled to overflowing reminds me of just how thankful we were as we sat around those tables. I even recall specific foods that were always served in specific bowls or dishes.

I came across a verse of Scripture in my study time that I have remembered throughout the week. “I said to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.’” (Psalm 16:2 – NIV)

For my family, on both sides of my family, God was always in our midst. I was raised by Christian parents who were raised by Christian parents who were raised by Christian parents. It is part of my heritage. So you see, when I saw this verse of Scripture my mind immediately went to the good that I have and recognize that it is good because I am a follower of Christ.

“Apart from you (God) I have no good thing.”

Obviously, this concept goes beyond family. All of my possessions. All of my serving. All of my studying. All of my writing. All of my heart. Without God, it isn’t good. He provides the goodness in my life.

I pray that you feel the same way. I pray that you can see God’s goodness flowing in and out of your life. I pray that you too have come to the understanding that without God, you have nothing.

I know that for some, family has brought heartache and pain. I pray that you’ll find peace and comfort in God this Thanksgiving. I pray that as you gather around a table on that day that you’ll be able to say that God has provided goodness in your life. That you will be able to join me in saying, “Apart from You I have no good thing.”

Yes, I miss being with my family, especially at Thanksgiving. But last year my Mom gave me a gift. She joined us in Colorado for Thanksgiving. She will be joining us again this year and I will once again know how blessed I truly am.

I have other family with me, too. My husband, my daughters, my son-in-law, my grandchildren. And a whole slew of friends who make me feel like family. So, even as I am 1,200 miles away from the rest of my beloved family, I am well loved and that love reduces the miles to mere inches.

Happy Thanksgiving (a little early)!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment