Monday, November 12, 2012

It's a Schedule

My husband is a systems dispatch operator for a local electric company. His job is to keep the power on for all the customers his company services. His work schedule is on a 5-week rotation where he works 12-hour shifts, both days and nights, including holidays and weekends.

Sometimes his work schedule is inconvenient. Sometimes it works against all things sacred (family and church). Sometimes I don’t like it.



What I do like is that they give him his yearly schedule in advance. As a matter of fact, I have his 2013 schedule in hand right now. So I know exactly what our year will look like in relation to his work schedule.

Schedules are part of life. Whether they are related to work, school, or even an infant, there are schedules to keep and follow. It’s how we cope with them and work through them that matters. But more importantly, it’s what God has to say about keeping schedules that makes the difference.

The writer of Ecclesiastes tells us that “there is a time for everything. A season for everything activity under heaven.” (Ecclesiastes 3:1 – NIV) He then proceeds to give examples of his understanding of a schedule in verses 2-8. But we also see from this writer that without God, it’s all meaningless (Ecclesiastes 12:8).

Paul encouraged the Ephesian Christians with these words. “Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.” Paul shared that in day-to-day living (schedules) how important it is to make every moment count. Again, count for God.

I believe from these two passages we can see that schedules are part of life. But if we leave God out of our daily schedules, we are whipping up a recipe for disaster.

As we rely on God, we are able to utilize His power, His strength, His wisdom, and His protection (just to name a few). Why wouldn’t we desire His assistance with our schedules?

I have Mason’s 2013 work schedule. However, it could change. If someone should happen to quit, this schedule is thrown out because another shift must be covered. Sometimes that can get a little aggravating.

[I must add this to all of my complaining. My husband has a job. My husband has employment that is not threatened. I am able to do what I do because of the career my husband has chosen. That is something that I don’t take lightly. I appreciate and love all the work he does for me and our family.]

I pray your schedule today allows for some valuable family time or perhaps some personal time, but most important for an incredible connection with God. Time spent with God is time well spent. Don’t overlook Him with your busy schedule. The time you spend with God will be the best part of your day!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment