Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Gobble, Gobble

Thanksgiving will be here before we know it. But I think I may be a little tired of turkey and the fixings before we even get to that day.


The 50+ and Better ministry at church offer get-togethers for this age group. They offer a monthly lunch for the oldest group and dinner for those who feel up to getting out in the evenings. Yesterday was the lunch and they had turkey available for my SE Asia team to enjoy before our presentation last evening. It was delicious!

Next Friday I will be preparing a turkey feast for the evening gathering of this group.

Then a week later, yet another turkey dinner for my family.

Don’t get me wrong, I love turkey. I love preparing all that reminds me of my childhood Thanksgivings, but it seems like this year I may be partaking of too much of a good thing.

However, the one thing I will never grow tired of is the thanksgiving part. Giving thanks for what God has blessed me with allows for my appreciation and joy to flow. I’m able to thank God for the material provisions, and also the spiritual.

There are plenty of passages in Scripture that we can use to offer this thanks to God.

Psalm 100 (NIV) is only five verses, but it is packed with so many thoughts. As you read through these five verses, you’ll recognize phrases from some of our worship songs.

Phrases like, “Worship the Lord with gladness” or “It is he who made us, and we are his; we are the people, the sheep of his pasture.” Yes, you’ve heard those phrases before.

Verses 4 and 5 are where I’d like to land today. They are about thanksgiving. Again, you’ll recognize them as ones you’ve sung.

“Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.” (Psalm 100:4-5 – NIV)

After reading that we should praise God and why we should praise God, it stands to reason that the Psalmist would then point us to thanksgiving.

We have the opportunity to thank God regardless of what our situation might be. I know in the midst of pain, sorrow and suffering it is difficult to see one thing to be thankful for, but it is possible. And even more so, when all is well, we must acknowledge Him who provided that wellness.

The material blessings are a comfort to us and we are to thank God for those, but more importantly we are to thank Him for our spiritual blessings. Without His great love for us, we would be lost. If He hadn’t sent Jesus to be our ultimate sacrifice, we would still be wandering around in our spiritual rubble. For that, I am especially thankful.

This chapter ends with yet one more thing to be thankful for. God’s faithfulness. You see, He continues to be faithful to us, even when we are unfaithful to Him. It’s just the way He is.

Have you thanked God today for all of His provisions? For His faithfulness? For the spiritual blessings you’ve received through Him? Have you shared your praise and adoration for Him today? If not, why not take the time to give honor to God for what He has done in your life?

Thanksgiving is celebrated once a year, but as a follower of Christ, I must be thankful on a daily basis. Oh, I may be tired of turkey this year, but I certainly will never grow weary of praising and thanking my God and Savior. I pray that you feel the same way.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment