Wednesday, November 21, 2012

As You Come to Him

Broken
Imperfect
Selfish
Rejected
Insecure
Sinful
Unproductive
Incomplete
Conformed
Enslaved
Unimportant
Lost
Grieved
Dead

If you are like me, you have felt like some of these words at some point in your life. These are words that describe some of the worst times I’ve experienced. They are not words that I’d like used to describe me at all.

But, they have. And to be honest, I’m sure some of them will be used to describe me before my life on this earth is finished.


I love the phrase, “As you come to him…” from 1 Peter 2:4a (NIV). It gives me hope that regardless of what I am like when I approach Jesus, He is there waiting for me. His arms are open wide and He is looking forward to the time we spend together.

There is so much that follows this phrase in 1 Peter and because of that I think we overlook it. Yes, I am a living stone, I am a spiritual house, I am part of a holy priesthood, and I am an offering acceptable to God through Jesus. Yes, I am all of these things (1 Peter 2:5).

But, how do I come to Him? Am I approaching Jesus with a humble heart? Am I approaching Him with a teachable spirit? Am I approaching Him as a repentant believer?

How do I approach Jesus? How do I come to Him?

How do you approach Jesus? How do you come to Him?

On the flip side, that list from above doesn’t need to remain. As we come to Jesus and accept His love and grace, these are some terms that will describe us.

Whole
Perfect
Selfless
Accepted
Secure
Graceful
Productive
Complete
Transformed
Free
Important
Found
Healed
Living

So come to Jesus. Accept what He has to offer. Allow His grace to flow from heaven and cover you.

As you come to Him…

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment