Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Surprising Snow

Last weekend, my area of Colorado experienced another snow storm. The snow began to fall and it didn’t stop the whole day. We were in an area that received about 5 inches of snow. It was very beautiful.

My daughter brought the grandkids up for the day, so we stayed cozy warm inside and had lots of fun. I made a little area by the back door where they snuggled in blankets, ate popcorn and drank hot chocolate. It was the perfect day…until it was time for them to leave.

Mason and I went out to clean off their car and realized that we needed to get out the shovel and snow blower. It had really snowed.

Once Bethany and the kids were on their way, the praying began. I prayed for their safety. I prayed for their vehicle. I prayed for Bethany to be focused on her driving. I prayed.

Bethany called when she arrived home…home with no snow. Joy was so disappointed. But like I said, we were in the path of snow where we were dumped on and 30 minutes to the south, they received nothing.

I wasn’t expecting snow on this day, so I really wasn’t expecting as much snow as we received. It was a complete surprise to me.

I must say, Jesus was full of surprises too. If you look at each of the miracles He performed, there was surprise. Oh there was amazement and wonder and belief as well, but He did surprise people.

Mark 6:30-44 gives account of the feeding of the five thousand. Jesus takes five loaves and two fish, blesses them, breaks them, and then proceeds to feed the crowd with baskets of food left over.

When Jesus first meets Peter, Andrew, James, and John, they had been fishing all night long and hadn’t caught a single fish. Jesus asked them to throw their nets into the water and surprisingly, they catch an astonishing amount of fish. But then, they walked away from it all to “fish for men.” (Luke 5:1-11)

One of my favorite surprises was after the resurrection of Jesus and His encounter with Mary. She believes Him to be a gardener and asks “where the body of her Lord had been taken.” And with a single word, Jesus surprised Mary. He simply said her name. “Mary.” She immediately knew it was Jesus and nothing about her life would ever be the same. (John 20:10-18)

Those who encountered Jesus had surprising changes in their lives. Whether they were healed, raised from the dead, or forgiven of their sins, they knew something had changed. Their lives were changed by the Savior of the world.

Are you looking for God’s surprises today? Keep your eyes open. You just might be amazed by the graciousness of our heavenly Father.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment