Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Friend I Forgot

I have a friend at church who is such a special lady. She is caring. She is kind. She asks great questions to start conversations. She loves studying the Bible. She is protective of our ministry staff. She prays for everyone. She makes sure everyone remembers the time change. She never misses a service or an event at church. She is forgiving. She is a valuable person who I am blessed to call my friend.



Martha doesn’t drive, so if she needs to get to church, it isn’t uncommon for her to call. Last night was such an occasion. We had a special prayer meeting at church (which I must say was a wonderful service and very moving) and I was privileged to get to pick her up and take her.

As I was driving to get Martha, I remembered a time when I was to bring her to church. However, I forgot to stop by and get her. It was a Wednesday morning for  Women’s Bible Study. We have a short worship service before heading to study and after the first song, the leader said, “Where’s Martha?”

I immediately stood up and said, “I was supposed to pick her up!” I then proceeded to hustle out of the auditorium, ran to my car, and as quickly as possible drove the mile to pick up this dear friend.

We can be forgetful in our day-to-day lives. It’s common. But we can also be forgetful in our spiritual lives. While this too is common, there is more at stake when we forget God.

But, we are in good company. David mentions in Psalm 119:93 (NIV), “I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life.” We know there were times when David did forget God’s precepts. Even with a bold statement as this. However, we must strive to never forget God’s teachings. Holding on to them is life.

So let’s see what we are to remember. What we should never forget.

We should never forget God. In Deuteronomy 6:12 (NIV), Moses reminds the Israelites of this very thing. “Be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.”

We should never forget God’s words. Proverbs 4:5 (NIV) says, “Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them.”

We should never forget to do good things. “And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.” (Hebrews 13:16 – NIV)

We should never forget God’s timing. Peter tells us to remember this one thing. “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:8-9 – NIV))

While God tells us that He will not remember our trespasses, God will not forget a few things. The writer of Hebrews tells us, “God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.” (Hebrews 6:10 – NIV) God never forgets the good we do.

There is one thing that we must forget. I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ll mention Paul’s words again from Philippians 3:13b (NIV). “But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead.” We must forget our past and remember our future in Jesus Christ.

Martha didn’t let me forget for a while that I had forgotten her. She wanted my cell phone number for future reference and I gladly gave it to her. To be honest, I don’t want to forget Martha again.

I don’t want to miss anything that God wants me to remember either. God prompts me in ways that are just as effective as a phone call and for those reminders I’m thankful.

Let’s not forget today. Let’s be diligent in remembering all that God has shown us through our spiritual journey. Let’s be ready and willing to do what He reminds us to do. Let’s never forget all that He’s done for us. Because let’s face it. The alternative isn’t appealing.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment