Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ordinary

I have enjoyed creating food art or food garnishes for years. So when I got the opportunity to see a live demonstration of a true artist at work on my recent SE Asia trip, I took the time to watch. It was exciting to see how they could take a piece of ordinary fruit or vegetable and create a masterpiece from it.

A pumalo (citrus fruit a little larger than a grapefruit and quite delicious) was torn apart to create a dog.


A watermelon was carved to create a beautiful bouquet of flowers.


Additions to a pineapple gave the appearance of an exotic bird.


And who wouldn’t love a flower formed from a carrot? Or a bird made from a tomato?


Yes, these were masterpieces. Works of art. Beauty created from ordinary items.

God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things for His Kingdom. I know. I’ve seen it. I know. I am an example of how He does what He does.

Do you remember the song Ordinary People by Danniebelle Hall? The lyrics tell the greater story of those who are willing to do God’s will. Here are the lyrics to the chorus.

Just ordinary people,
God uses ordinary people.
He chooses people just like me and you
Who are willing to do as He commands.
God uses people that will give Him all
No matter how small your all may seem to you;
Because little becomes much as you place it in the Master's hand.[i]

We see great examples of this throughout Scripture. Noah who was willing to build an ark (Genesis 6:9-9:17). Deborah who was willing to lead Israel into battle (Judges 4-5). David who was willing to face a giant (1 Samuel 17). Mary who willingly gave birth to the Messiah (Matthew 1:18:25 and Luke 2:1-20). And then there is the young man, of whom the song speaks, who was willing to share his lunch with Jesus (John 6:1-15).

I love the last line of this song. “Little becomes much as you place it in the Master’s hand.” What are you willing to place in the Master’s Hand? Regardless of what it is, be prepared for something great to come of it. Because my God is bigger and greater than I can even imagine. And He wants to work through us to further His Kingdom.

Now it may not be huge to us, like building an ark or bringing down a giant with a small stone, but it could be His gentle working through your life to plant seeds of God’s grace along your journey. It could be a smile that brings joy to a homeless person. It could be lending a sympathetic ear to someone who just needs someone to listen. To those you touch, it is huge.

There is a small verse in Philippians that says, “Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.” (Philippians 2:12-13 – NIV) God is working through us for His good purpose.

And then there is the passage in Nehemiah. “So the wall was completed on the twenty-fifth of Elul, in fifty-two days. When all our enemies heard about this, all the surrounding nations were afraid and lost their self-confidence, because they realized that this work had been done with the help of God.” (Nehemiah 6:15-16 – NIV) No small feat, the walls of Jerusalem were complete in 52 days. But it was God working through those who were willing to do His work that accomplished the task. And those around Jerusalem took note of it.

So we can confidently stand and willingly give ourselves to do God’s work. God will do amazing things through people who are willing to give Him their all. Who are willing to make them Lord of their lives.

For me, I’ve given God my blog. I’ve given Him my head (knowledge), my heart (compassion), and my hands (writing) for Him to use however He sees fit. It’s been amazing to me how this little thing has grown. How many people spend time reading my words, understanding my message, and then acting upon that message. It may be a little thing to me, but God is using this blog to spread His message throughout the world. 

Are you willing to place your “little” in the Master’s Hands? If so, you’ll be joining the multitudes who have done so and have seen God’s mighty work because of their willingness to do so. Come on, why not join us?

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna


[i] Ordinary People, Danniebelle Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment