Thursday, September 6, 2012

The "Zinger"


I had a garage sale a couple of weeks ago. There was (and still is) a tremendous amount of stuff in my basement. This sale was an attempt to loosen my grip on some worldly possessions and declutter.

One item I sold was an old Singer sewing machine. It was one that I grew up with and on which I learned to sew. There was some tugging at my heart because it was a possession that had been passed down from my Mother to me, but my Mom had encouraged me to purchase a newer version of a sewing machine and I actually use the new one!

The woman who purchased the Singer was very excited. She had used one just like it as a young girl growing up in Russia fifty years ago. She hadn’t thought of purchasing one in the States until she saw the “Zinger.” Memories flooded her mind as she spoke of her childhood home. This machine was more than a sewing machine, it was a memory maker.

As she placed her prize possession into her car, she clasped her hands together, swayed a little, and expressed her excitement audibly with a smile-filled sigh. She had found a treasure.

As I watched her drive away, I thought how perfect it was that I had given her something she could value, cherish and love the rest of her life.

But then, of what worth is it really?

It is a rusted, old sewing machine. Something that will be placed in a landfill once she is gone. What could I have offered her that is of real value? What could have truly made a difference in her life?

Jesus.

I never asked if she knew Jesus or if she had even thought of Him. I just sold her an old sewing machine.

This is what Jesus had to say about the topic.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:19-21 – NIV)

When I look at life from this perspective, anything that rust or moth or thieves can take from me is of no value. That means nothing of this world is of any value. Nothing. My treasure, and that dear woman who bought my old sewing machine’s treasure, should be heaven. Let me rephrase that. It is heaven.

Here’s my dilemma. I missed several opportunities. I didn’t share my greatest treasure with the treasure seekers at my garage sale. Oh there were a few people where the topic was brought up, but to be honest, those conversations were among other believers.

So I have a plan for my next garage sale. While others are looking for the perfect treasure, I plan to have The Greatest Treasure present and in prominent view. Jesus will be part of it. He must be part of it. To be honest, I don’t know how this is going to look, but I am anxious to see how it turns out.

The “Zinger” sewing machine lady will bring a smile to face each time I think of her. She brought new excitement to an old, lifeless machine. She shared that excitement with me and I’ve discovered a new excitement of my own.

I pray that you’ll encounter someone today who will touch you in some way as well. It could be anyone. Look around and find that person who is excited about life. Maybe you are that person! Share that excitement with others. What I do know is it is contagious!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment