Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Here We Go Again


Greetings!

I’ve just returned from a 20+ hour road trip with my husband. We are exhausted and so I am going to do it again…post an old blog post for you to enjoy again. I’ve got a great idea for tomorrow, so you won’t want to miss it! But until then, here’s a post that has to do with driving.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

DO NOT SPEED

Last February, I visited Daytona Beach for two weeks. There were several reasons for being there, but one of the best reasons was to access the ocean. I stayed at my great aunt’s home that was about four blocks from the beach. Each day I would set out to walk the blocks that separated me from the beach and stroll down the beach a while, then head back to the comfort of my family.

On one of these excursions, I passed a motorcycle that had a sign across the wind shield in large letters and in plain sight of the driver, “DO NOT SPEED.” Apparently, the driver of this cycle needed reminding that speeding was not a good idea.

Now I typically drive faster than I should. Driving 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit is not unusual for me. I have, however, found that in our community, police officers don’t appreciate even that. To keep myself in check, I use my cruise control around town. I have no desire to receive my first speeding ticket in the Tri-Towns area.

Most highway systems these days have large electronic signs where important messages can be displayed for all drivers to see. Colorado is no different and I pass several signs each day in my travels.  My favorite message of late states, “75 means 75. Violators will be ticketed.”

Sometimes we all need reminding that we should or shouldn’t do something, whether it’s gossiping, lying, swearing, being kind to others, sharing the Gospel with our neighbor, or speeding. So God could say, “do not lie means do not lie.” Or “love your neighbor as yourself means love your neighbor as yourself.”   And even “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God means do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Has the “ah ha” moment hit yet?

What about the times we take “signs” for granted? We see them each day and perhaps become used to them. They are just part of the scenery and then we ignore them. We go back to our old way of life and don’t take to heart the message. I think in those times, we need to remember to look at the signs and really see what they or God is saying. Ask God to enlighten the eyes of our hearts and bring us back to the message He has for us.

God’s Word continues to give us these reminders, but unless we are in His Word on a regular basis, we might miss some of them. Don’t ever think that God doesn’t have something to say to you. Be open to His subtle hints and be aware of His blunt reminders.

To be honest, that “75 means 75” sign has made an impact on my life. I now find myself traveling I-25 at 75 miles an hour more times than not. I still use my cruise control around my community. And part of this slowing down in my driving has helped me to slow down in all areas of my life. I now have more quality time and opportunity to spend with friends, family and most of all God. I pray these same things for you. May God bless you today in your travels and in your relationships.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment