Monday, August 6, 2012

The Final Frontier?


Last night, the NASA rover, Curiosity, made a safe landing on the planet Mars. Images are beginning to stream back to mission control and so far, the mission has been successful.

I must admit, I’m a space nut. My life has been impacted by the space frontier and I have always enjoyed watching launches or landings of space craft. While there have been some failures in this pioneering field, there have been far more successes and advances.

Perhaps you remember where you were when you heard of the disasters of Challenger and Columbia. Maybe you have fond memories of the final Shuttle flight. Or what about the early space missions? The Mercury or Gemini projects. The Apollo missions and landing on the moon.

My most memorable moment was standing in the Atlantic Ocean at Daytona Beach and viewing a Shuttle launch from that spot. It was spectacular.

I also came within days of seeing the next to last Shuttle launch in Florida.

My husband knows how I am drawn to the sky and for our first anniversary I received a certificate for one share of a local aerospace company. It was the perfect gift for me.

I thought my granddaughter Joy was joining me on the excitement of space travel. She prepared for a space mission, she got settled into her seat, and blasted off into space. She must not have enjoyed it as much as I did. She never mentioned it again.


And I must admit, seeing the Hubble Telescope images brings joy to my heart. Knowing that God created the universe makes it even more special.

David knew how special the skies were as well. He wrote of it often. And although David was unable to see what we see from space today, he knew there was more out there. He knew God placed each planet and star in his sky. And David praised God for the heavens. Let’s see how David spoke of God’s creation.

“When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?” (Psalm 8:3-4 – NIV)

“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.” (Psalm 19:1 – NIV)

“By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth.” (Psalm 33:6 – NIV)

David speaks of God’s boundless love and faithfulness in two passages. “Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.” (Psalm 36:5 – NIV)

“For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.” (Psalm 57:1 – NIV)

And David couldn’t leave out God’s righteousness. “Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God, you who have done great things. Who, O God, is like you?” (Psalm 71:19 – NIV)

Psalm 103:11-12 (NIV) says, “For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.” If for no other reason, this verse creates excitement within me when scientists find that the universe is much larger than first thought. It simply tells me that God loves me more than I could ever imagine!

In the faith chapter of the Bible, the writer of Hebrews makes this statement. “By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.” (Hebrews 11:3 – NIV)

Yes, it is by faith that I believe God created all that I see and what I can’t see. God’s great universe and all of its intricacies shows that He is in control. That His plan was and is perfect, without flaw. And that our universe was not created by happenstance or by chance.

That big, open space out there was created by my Creator. By my faithful Father. By my brilliant God.

I’m thankful for space exploration for many reasons, but mainly because it proves to me how far in advance God was thinking. He knew mankind would have explored all of earth and would be itching for a new frontier. Perhaps he created the universe for that very purpose.

I wonder what else God has in store for us to explore?

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment