Monday, August 27, 2012

I Am Nearsighted


I am nearsighted. Now if you’re trying to remember how this works, when you’re nearsighted you can see things that are up-close but things further away seem blurry.

I have tried bi-focals on several occasions, but they just never seemed to work for me. So when I need to read or use the computer, I simply remove my glasses and do my reading. It works relatively well, but it isn’t perfect.


I recently had an eye exam. My eye sight has improved! In fact, over the past few years, my eye sight has steadily improved. Well, my nearsightedness has improved.  My far sightedness has remained the same, however.

I was actually pretty excited about it. I hoped that one day I would be able to toss my glasses completely. Then I mentioned it to my youngest daughter. She worked in the optical department at a local eye glass store and she mentioned that at my age it is common for this phenomenon to occur.

Wow was I disappointed! Of course, the “at my age” conversation wasn’t all that fun either.

I have learned through the years how important eyesight can be. Knowing people who have lost their sight due to disease or accident has helped me to see that this is one sense that I would be disappointed to lose.

But what about our spiritual sight. Am I spiritually nearsighted? Am I sometimes too focused on myself to miss what others are battling? Do I see things that are up-close in focus but things further away seem blurry? Yes, sometimes I believe I fall into this trap.

If I’m really honest, I might even say that it occurs more often than not.

Jesus had something to say about this during the Sermon on the Mount. He said, “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!” (Matthew 6:22-23 – NIV)

When my eyes are strictly focused on myself or those closest to me, I miss the opportunity to be filled with God’s light. But sometimes this is so difficult to do. So where do we begin to widen the view we see with our eyes?

Psalm 16:8 (NIV) shares how David was able to do so. “I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” We must keep our eyes upon God.

We also must keep God’s commands and precepts in sight. Psalm 19:8 (NIV) says, “The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes.”

We must turn from worthless things. “Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.” (Psalm 119:37 – NIV) Focusing on things that are not important will draw our attention away from God’s purpose. Worthless things will always cause farsightedness.

When we’ve set our eyes upon God, focused on His precepts, and turned from worthless things, our eyesight will improve!

The passage of Scripture that I have used as the structure for this blog is from Ephesians 1:18 (NIV). “I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints…”

I am certain that each of us would want this for ourselves. For our spiritual eyes to be unselfish. For our spiritual eyes to be healthy. For our spiritual eyes to have 20/20 vision.

It is possible. But it will take effort on your part. You will need to open your spiritual eyes to see what God is preparing for you. You will need to open your spiritual eyes to see others before yourself. You will need to open your spiritual eyes to God’s wonderful law and see how His light will shine through your eyes.

All this I pray for you!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment