Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bravery

Bravery. We’ve seen it throughout the year here in Colorado. Firefighters, police officers, first responders, even untrained individuals have proved to be brave during events our state has endured. It is because of bravery and quick response that many lives have been saved and rescued from the beginning of the wildfire season to the most recent movie theater attack.


I am thankful for these brave individuals who have put their own safety in jeopardy. Who are willing to do it all over again as needed. Who have stepped out of their normal sphere to show exceptional bravery. To these I express my gratitude.

Bravery, however, has been around since the beginning of time. If we were to look through God’s Word, we would see countless accounts of brave men and women who put their lives on the line for God’s Kingdom. Those who thought less of themselves and more of others.

There are some men in Scripture who are given the title of David’s Mighty Men. This group was undeniably the best of the best in David’s army. In 2 Samuel 23:24-39, 30 men are mentioned by name. In 1 Chronicles 11:26-47, an additional 16 names are listed.

However, there are three who are the bravest of the brave. These three men receive special honor in Scripture and are referred to as “The Three.” Josheb-Basshebeth, a Tahkemonite; Eleazar, son of Dodai the Ahohite; and Shammah, son of Agee the Hararite.

While there is mention of other chiefs and mighty men, these three seemed to be able to accomplish any task given by David.

They took their stand in a field against the Philistine army and won. They broke through the Philistine line to bring David water from the well near Bethlehem. They seemed to be fearless and brave in any situation.

But David knew the source of this bravery. It wasn’t by their own physical strength. It wasn’t by their own training. It wasn’t who they were or how they had been raised.

David shares this knowledge in his song of praise in 2 Samuel 22:2-4 (NIV).

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
from violent men you save me.
I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
and I am saved from my enemies.”

Yes, David knew that God was their source of bravery. David acknowledged that God was the true source of might for these men and his true Protector.

When we acknowledge that same fact, we too become brave in our day-to-day lives. It may not be what I’ve mentioned above, but it could be standing up for something that is right. Or sharing the Gospel with a person in need. Or even accepting the challenge of going on a mission trip.

Each of us must determine what bravery is in our own lives. Then we must acknowledge that God is the source of that bravery. With God, we can become the bravest of the brave for His Kingdom.

Bravery. It can be defined as having courageous endurance. Are you willing to be brave for God? How far are you willing to take that bravery? With God as the source of that bravery, I know the possibilities are endless.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment