Thursday, June 28, 2012

What? Me Tired?


I’m tired. Have you said those words before? I know I have. As a young mother with three children 4 years and under, I was tired. But it never seemed to keep me from doing what was needed. What had to be done was complete. Anything else, well, simply didn’t.

During busy times in my life, I was tired. Like gearing up for Vacation Bible School. I created, developed, and wrote VBS programs for years. But it was hard work. By the end of each VBS, I was tired.

I was the choir director at most of the churches we ministered to through the years. Easter and Christmas Cantatas were busy times for me. Rehearsals, building sets, making costumes, memorizing music. These elements led to being tired.

And then there are the times with my family. My children and grandchildren live in Colorado, but my parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, and extended family all live in Ohio. I live 1,200 miles from my family. When we are together, I want to do everything there is to do with them. I want to be in the middle of it all. When I am with my family, I am tired.

This morning I’m tired. My brother has been here this week and we have been on the go since his plane landed. With two grandkids in tow, it’s been a tiring week. But the thing is I wouldn’t change a thing. Being with my family is so good for me. Loving on those I love brings joy to my heart.

Jesus was tired on occasion. When He was tired He spent time with His Father. Over and over Jesus can be seen withdrawing from the crowd and praying through the night. It was good for Him. It brought joy to His heart.

Jesus also knew how to comfort those who were tired. In Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV), Jesus tells the crowd of His plan for being weary. It is one He urges us to try as well. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

How wonderful that we have a Savior who cares when we are tired. How wonderful that it is His desire to take that weariness and carry our load for us.

So why don’t we give our weariness to Jesus? Why aren’t we willing to give it to Jesus and accept rest in return?

I suspect we are a little stubborn. I suspect we are a little controlling. I suspect we are a little rebellious. I suspect we are a little “whatever your reason for not giving your weariness to Jesus might be” inserted here.

Jesus truly wants to take our weariness and burdens. He wants us to find rest. His rest. Isn’t it time to loosen the grip on these issues? Isn’t it time to give them all to Jesus?

Jesus’ gentle and humble heart knows exactly what we need. Rest for our souls. And He is offering it all to us. We simply need to accept it.

Yes, I am tired. But with Jesus in the middle of my life and my day, I know I can make it through the most tiring of days. Oh how I look forward to what the days ahead hold. With Jesus and my family.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment