Thursday, June 21, 2012

NAPA Know How


My son, Philip, just got a new car. Well it’s actually a used car, but new to him. It needed some work, so my husband, Mason, helped out.

At one point, Mason pulled a hose from the engine and saw a crack. He thought it should be replaced, so he asked if I wouldn’t mind going to the NAPA store. I headed inside to gather my purse and keys and then it hit me. I was going to the NAPA store! The new NAPA store! I actually said it out loud. “I’m going to the new NAPA store!”

I then laughed at myself and headed to the NAPA store.

I am a NASCAR fan. Love to watch the races. Enjoy rooting for my driver and his team. And it just so happens, my driver drove the NAPA car for years. I even made a Ukrainian Egg that looks like his race car with NAPA on the side.

Now you know why this was a big deal.

I got to the new NAPA store and couldn’t believe how nice it was. Race drivers on the front door. Big open area inside. It was the nicest auto parts store I’ve ever been in!

Unfortunately, they didn’t have the part, so I left empty handed.

After that experience, my mind wandered to the fact that there are days when I’m not that excited to study God’s Word. Or maybe go to a church service. Or spend just a few minutes in prayer with God.

Ouch!

I want desperately to be as excited to be with God as I am with other areas in my life. I want to run to His Word and say, “I am going to study and learn what God has to say to me today!” But some days it’s just not as exciting as I desire it to be.

So how do I put the excitement back into my study time, my prayer time, my devotional time?

I look with fresh eyes.
Just as we need regular eye exams, we need to examine our spiritual eyes to see if they align with God’s Word. David knew how important this was when he penned these words. “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.” (Psalm 119:18 – NIV)

The writer of Hebrews tells us where our eyes should be. “Let us ix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith...” (Hebrews 12:2a – NIV)

By looking at my time with God with a new perspective, God’s perspective, my desire to do so will increase. I will not be able to wait for our next time together.

I listen with open ears.
Isn’t it easy to tune out noise? I’ve heard of people who live in the path of an airline runway not hear the planes taking off after a while. Now that is tuning out.

What if we do the same thing when it comes to listening to God? Not ignoring Him because it’s what we want to do, but because we’ve heard it so many times before.

I believe Solomon knew the possibility and wrote these words for us to consider.
“…turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding…” (Proverbs 2:2 – NIV) We must continually turn our ear to God’s voice and words.

Isaiah was thrilled with the prospect of being awakened by God daily. “The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.” (Isaiah 50:4 – NIV)

Oh, how I want Isaiah’s thoughts to be my thoughts. To say, “Waken me Lord, to listen to what you have in store for me today.”

I approach with a teachable mind.
I believe I join God in Bible study some days and think I know it all. But I know nothing when compared to God’s infinite wisdom. If I am not open to learning from Him continually, I may as well shut the Bible now and never open it again. I must be teachable. Always.

Paul tells the Roman church, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” (Romans 12:2 – NIV) We cannot think the way the world thinks. Our minds need to be renewed by God. It is only then that His will becomes clear.

When we are teachable, God’s peace will flood our souls. His perfect peace will be with us. “You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.” (Isaiah 26:3 – NIV) Now that is worthwhile!

I rest with a renewed heart.
When all the looking, hearing, and teaching moments have occurred, if my heart is not changed, it is for nothing. My heart must rest in God’s love and Word. When I’ve found that place, I can repeat the words of David.

“Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” (Psalm 51:10 – NIV)

When my heart is at rest, “I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” (Psalm 119:10-11 – NIV)

Storing up precious Words from God…now that is heart changing.

My words today are not just for your benefit, they are for mine as well. I don’t want to take God for granted and with the words written today, I will run into God’s arms daily. I pray that you will do the same.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment