Sunday, June 17, 2012

God's Strength


My right arm hurts. My doctor says I have tendonitis. All I know is that my arm hurts.

Not only is it painful, but I’ve lost strength in the arm as well. When I use it to lift something, like my grandson, or a sack of potatoes, I have great difficulty and I cry out in pain.

Ice, physical therapy, and Aleve are supposed to be the cure perhaps in a few weeks I’ll begin to feel relief. I am not happy with the idea that this could continue for weeks or perhaps months, but it looks like that is the possibility.


Because I’ve lost strength in my arm, I decided to see how God provides strength. God has chosen to share His strength with us. He wants us to be strong, but not on our own. We are to rely on Him. When we ask Him to give us strength, we are asking for more power than any weapon in our nation’s arsenal.

The writer of 2 Samuel 22:33 (NIV) puts it this way. “It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.” With God’s strength we are able to see the direction we are to go. And I love the simple way that he puts it. “It is God.” Those are great words to add to our vocabulary.

When we seek God’s strength, we seek His face. “Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.” (1 Chronicles 16:11 – NIV) God is willing to provide strength, but He also desires that we want Him. All of Him. So when we seek strength, remember to seek His face.

One of my favorite passages of Scripture is 2 Chronicles 16:9a (NIV). “For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.” I envision God sitting on His throne with all-encompassing eyes. He sees it all. He searches for those who are fully committed to Him and then He provides strength. Strength for whatever that saint might need at that moment.

Nehemiah tells God’s people about God’s joy. But it was more than just joy. Joy in God was their strength. “Nehemiah said, ‘Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to or Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.’” (Nehemiah 8:10 – NIV) Joy in God is our strength as well. There is excitement in that strength. And our lives should show it.

“Even youth grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” (Isaiah 40:30-31 – NIV) What a wonderful passage to end with. We will grow tired, weary and feel like fainting, but hoping in our God brings renewed strength. Strength to carry on and walk the walk. To continue on our journey with His strength.

I have had to alter some of my patterns. Using my left arm to lift most items. Taking it slow in the morning until the muscles loosen a bit. Being very conscientious of each movement to protect my arm.

I do not, however, have to alter my reliance on God’s strength. That will never change. I thank God daily for the strength He provides and the many ways He shows up in my life.

If you need renewed strength today, seek God’s face, find joy in His presence, and fully commit to Him. You will then know strength beyond your wildest dreams.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment