Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fire on the Mountain

Coloradans are facing a large wild fire in the mountains where we live. Yesterday there was a heavy cloud of smoke over much of north central Colorado. Wind causes a great deal of concern in the burn area. Wind blows the smoke away, but makes fire control much more difficult. If there is no wind, a cloud of heavy smoke fills the air, but the fire is easier to handle.

Unfortunately, wild fires in Colorado are a part of life. We live in a windy area with very dry climate. We have battled the pine beetle and have lost. There are thousands of trees in the foothills that are dead and completely dry. The smallest spark can cause a brush fire and it can spread very quickly.

Many homes and structures have been destroyed and one life has been lost. It is a sad situation.


It is a daunting task to fight the blaze. It is a daunting task to rescue residents and livestock from the area. It is a daunting task to house, feed, and clothe the number of displaced evacuees.

For those who are on the front lines, my prayers are lifted for your safety. For those who have lost everything, my prayers are lifted for your comfort and God’s peace.

It does seem that this raging fire is winning. But we have hope that today will bring some relief to the efforts and that the firefighters and tankers will begin to gain control of these flames. 

David was displaced and down cast on many occasions. But he knew where his hope had to land. In God. In Psalm 42 (NIV), David shares some of his thoughts on his situation.

“As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?
My tears have been my food day and night,
While men say to me all day long,
‘Where is your God?’
These things I remember
as I pour out my soul:
How I used to go with the multitude,
leading the procession to the house of God,
with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng.

Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God.

My soul is downcast within me;
Therefore I will remember you
From the land of the Jordan,
The heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar.

Deep calls to deep
in the roar of your waterfalls;
All your waves and breakers
have swept over me.
By day the Lord directs his love,
at night his song is with me—
a prayer to the God of my life.

I say to God my Rock,
‘Why have you forgotten me?
Why must I go about mourning,
oppressed by the enemy?’
My bones suffer mortal agony
as my foes taunt me,
saying to me all day long,
‘Where is your God?’

Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God.”

Hope is an essential element in our lives. Without it, we would give up. We would continue to be downcast. But with hope, we have something to look forward to. Something to fight for. Something worth continuing day-to-day through the fires of this life.

I know where my hope lies. It is in the same God whom David placed his hope. The same God who is my living God. My Rock. Who directs me by day with His everlasting love and who sings a lullaby to me at night. My God, my life.

Yes my prayers are with those in direct contact with the fire and those affected by its destruction, but my main prayer is that they seek this same God to help them through this situation. I pray that you also find hope in my God.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment