Monday, June 11, 2012

Bethany's Star


Several years ago, I bought my youngest daughter a star. A real star, out there in space.  When we received the information, the coordinates for her star were included so that we could go in search of that star.

Unfortunately, I have no clue where all that information is. I couldn’t tell you where her star is for certain. She might be able to, but I don’t know for sure. So for me, that star is lost. It really is out there in a big sky with millions of other stars.

I’ve since read that stars aren’t really for sale. That makes sense. I mean, how can I say, “That’s my star!” when in reality someone else has probably purchased that very same star. It isn’t something I can hold or visit or re-gift.

Stars have held mankind captive since God placed them in the sky. They’ve been used by God to give emphasis to a promise (Genesis 22:17). They were used in dreams as examples (Genesis 37:9; Daniel 8:10). Mankind bowed down and worshiped stars (2 Kings 21:3). Stars signaled the end of a work day (Nehemiah 4:2). They praise God (Psalm 148:3).

A very special start guided the Magi to the Messiah (Matthew 2:2). And Jesus is referred to as the “bright Morning Star” (Revelation 22:16).

We too are called to be stars. Paul shares a section of Scripture in Philippians 2:12-18 that is titled, “Shining as Stars.” There are some great concepts in this section, but Paul encourages the Philippian Church to be a bright light in the darkened world. To be beacons drawing those caught in darkness to Jesus.

“Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life.” (Philippians 2:14-16a – NIV)

As Christians, we have the light, the word of life. It is only natural that we share it with others who need it so desperately.

And in 2 Peter 1:19, Peter explains that because we have Scripture (the word of the prophets), we should pay attention to them. We should listen and obey until the “morning star rises in your hearts.” I love this phrase. Has the morning star risen in your heart? It has in mine! And for certain, it draws me to God’s light daily. Hourly.

I don’t know where Bethany’s star is. It’s there, but with all the others in the sky, it’s difficult to pick out that special one. I am thankful that the Bright Morning Star is much easier to find and to spend personal time with. I pray that you too are in His presence daily.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment