Monday, April 30, 2012

My Little Garden


I gave up gardening years ago. I just don’t enjoy it like I used to.

I’ve tried to raise a few vegetable plants since living in Colorado. With the dry, desert climate, my plants simply didn’t survive.

An AeroGarden seemed to be the perfect solution. I could grow a few plants next to my kitchen sink and I could gather the goods as needed.

It was the perfect solution.

Except that I couldn’t grow everything I wanted. It wasn’t big enough to grow large tomatoes. I could only grow a small variety. I couldn’t grow green beans. There simply wasn’t enough room.

It was a good solution.

Until the novelty wore off. After growing tomatoes, peppers, herbs, and flowers, I was finished with it. The need to grow my own produce was fulfilled. I no longer needed to use my AeroGarden.

How many times have you thought you found the perfect solution to a spiritual situation? I know I’ve done it plenty of times.

I think I know a passage of Scripture and upon studying it, find that my conclusion had been wrong.

Believing I know a certain phrase or idea can be found in Scripture and upon studying it, find that once again my conclusion was wrong.

Therefore, I’ve come to the correct conclusion that I must study Scripture for myself and I must study regularly and deeply. I cannot rely on what others feel, think or believe. I must know what Scripture says. I must know what God says.

So first I must study to gain knowledge. If you look for yourself, you’ll find passages like:

“For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.” Proverbs 2:10

“But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.” 2 Corinthians 2:14

“This is good and pleases God our Savior who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.” 1 Timothy 2:3-4

These verses lead us to the conclusion that we are to gain knowledge for ourselves, for God, and for others. Using what we know to lead others to God should be our greatest desire.

And my knowledge will then lead me to obedience. If I don’t use this knowledge for my own good, it is useless.

“Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.” John 13:17

“I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.” Ephesians 1:17

Knowing God better and obeying His commands bring blessings to my life.

Then I must study to become mature. Again, knowledge without any growth on my part is useless. It must transform. It must make me a better person.

“Solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.” Hebrews 5:14

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete.” James 1:2-4

Mature. Complete. These are goals of those who study God’s Word. God’s Word is life-changing. God’s Word convicts. God’s Word leads me to being a better person, but only if I know what God’s Word says.

My AeroGarden sits in my basement. Waiting for a renewed interest in its purpose. If you haven’t picked up your copy of God’s Word in a while, why not do so today? You’ll be amazed at what God has in store for you!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment