Sunday, March 4, 2012

More Than Special

It is Sunday morning. A special day for many reasons. First and foremost, it is the Lord’s Day. The day set aside for we as Christians to worship and celebrate the resurrection of our Savior Jesus Christ. I pray that you will take the time to do so on this day.

Secondly, I am in Florida with all my Ohio family. We are staying in a beautiful house on the ocean. We’ll be here for the week enjoying the sunshine, the Gulf Coast, and…the humidity! But I’m the only one who really notices it. The dry air of Colorado has spoiled me for sure. But, I am on the beach with my family.

Third, my nephew is getting married today. He is marrying a lovely, young woman he adores. What more could a couple ask for than to marry their best friend. Congratulations Matt and Ashley! May God bless your marriage abundantly!

Yes, the day is special, but the people I’m with make this day even more special. They are family. They are loved ones. And it goes beyond our family or physical bond. There is a spiritual bond between us. We are part of a greater, bigger family. God’s family!

You want to sing it, don’t you? The music is forming in your head. Yes. Yes, I can hear it gradually getting louder…“I’m so glad I’m a part of the family of God…”[i] Yes my family is part of God's family, but it is more than that. It is the world-wide family of God. What a treasure and that makes us all special!

We are special because “Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.” (Ephesians 5:2527) He loved the church. He loved the body of believers. He gave all that He had…Himself, so that we might be radiant.

Because of God’s priceless unfailing love. God loves us more than we can express. And Scripture proves it over and over. “The eyes of the Lord on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love.” (Psalm 22:19) “How priceless is your unfailing love.” (Psalm 36:7a) “May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant.” (Psalm 119:76)

Also, we have precious promises from God. “He has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desire.” (2 Peter 1:4) Promises like, salvation (1 Peter 1: 8-9), the Holy Spirit (John 14:15-21), eternal life (John 3:16), and that He will always be with us (Matthew 28:20b).

Today is a special day! Not just for my family, but for all believers in Christ. What will you do with this special day?

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna


[i] The Family of God, Bill and Gloria Gaither, 1970.

No comments:

Post a Comment