Thursday, March 1, 2012

Focus

I had a crazy morning a while back. Have you ever had a day like this?

  • Woke up at 4:45 a.m. 
  • Husband left for work at 5:30 a.m.
  • Did a little Bible study.
  • Took a shower.
  • Drove son to work.
  • Realized I was hungry and thought I’d make toast and peanut butter as soon as I got home.
  • On the way home I thought my windshield was pretty dirty with bugs.
  • Turned on wipers and smeared them all over the window.
  • Decided to clean my windows when I got home.
  • Pulled into garage, noticed something on my front door.
  • Cleaned my windows.
  • Went to front door to get junk mail.
  • Noticed the plants on my front porch needed watered…badly.
  • Got the junk mail and threw it in the trash.
  • Went inside and got my watering container (I don’t have a watering can because I kill plants).
  • Watered one section of the plants.
  • On the way back inside, the cat ran out the front door.
  • Got a second container of water.
  • Watered last section of the plants.
  • Put container away.
  • Pulled the block out of the doggie door at the back door so the cat could get back in.
  • Poured a cup of coffee.
  • Heard cat at the front door.
  • Let the cat in.
  • Checked my email.
  • Realized I hadn’t made my toast or drank the cup of coffee I poured.
  • Made toast with peanut butter.
  • Ate toast and drank my cup of warm coffee.

This is a morning that kept me from staying focused on what I needed to stay focused on. I was hungry. Hunger is something that tends to get our attention. It got mine, however, when other things or issues arose, my hunger faded to the background.

It reminds me of Paul’s discussion with the Galatians. He says, “You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth?” (Galatians 5:7) In this case, it was the Judiaizers, Those who felt the Galatians needed to be circumcised before they could become Christians. For us it can be a number of things.

Family, work, recreation, death of a spouse or family member, laziness, television, etc. Each of these things can “cut in” on our desire to be and do what God wants from us. Whether it’s our Bible study time, our prayer time with God, helping someone in need, serving in our local church, or any other worthy activity.

Don’t let anything get in your way of being what God wants you to be. Stay focused. Keep running the good race.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment