Sunday, February 26, 2012

A-N-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-I-O-N


You know exactly what I’m talking about. That long, almost unbearable waiting for something. At each thought of what is to come, a zap of excitement shoots through your body and you cannot keep that smile from bursting forth. Perhaps you might even giggle. We’ve all been there. Anticipating.

I have anticipated some exciting events in my lifetime. The birth of my children and grand children are high on the list. Of course, their first birthdays were also times of anticipation. Seeing what they each had accomplished in that first year leading up that first birthday was exciting. I wouldn’t have traded any of those times for anything.

But there have been others. Moving to a new city or state. Before I moved to Colorado, I had the months of the calendar plastered on my bedroom wall…each day I would cross off a day, and eventually, the date came when I could load the truck and head to this beautiful state and my husband.

The start of a new job. There have been plenty of those. The months preparing for a trip to Daytona Beach and my first NASCAR race…why I could hardly contain myself! And today, I’m anxiously waiting for the Daytona 500 to start and, once again have a trip to Florida to prepare for within the week.

Yes, these are some exciting times for me. But is it where my focus should be?

Some synonyms of anticipation are expectation, prospect, eagerness, hope, or contemplation. The very nature of the word allows for those giddy feelings to surface. Contemplating the “what ifs” or believing there is hope fuel the building excitement. Expecting a good outcome brings peace during times of anticipation.

Anticipation has been around a long time and can be linked to our faith in God. Just as those living under the old covenant eagerly waited for the coming of the Messiah, we too, eagerly await the second coming of Jesus, the Messiah. It brings hope to this otherwise hopeless world. But that must not be our only focus. We must be anticipating the good things that God wants to add to our lives.

Philippians 1:6 assures us that we should be anticipating what God is doing in our lives. “For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.”

And Ephesians 2:10 gives us insight into what we should be doing with what God has done within us while awaiting the second coming. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.”

Yes, anticipation is exciting. In our physical lives, but also in our spiritual lives. Oh, I pray that you will anticipate what God is doing in your life. Watch for His workings. Anticipate what He will do with it. And of course, eagerly wait for His return. I know I can hardly wait!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment