Thursday, February 9, 2012

My Favorite Place



Do you have a favorite spot or location? One that warms your heart the moment you arrive? I have several “favorite” spots. So I guess I really don’t have a favorite! My newest favorite place is my new office. Within its walls, I am made comfortable by the décor, the paint colors, and the little items that make this room uniquely mine.

I painted a silhouette of a tree on one wall. I chose the color “chocolate brownie.” The gentleman who mixed the paint for me chuckled. He said he would be hungry for brownies all the time if he knew that was the name of the color. Well, that got me thinking! I began a search for a chocolate scented candle. It was actually more difficult than I would have thought, but finally, I found my candle and now the pleasant smell of brownies fills the air.

The sounds of my favorite artists fill the room with music. Depending upon my mood, gospel, pop, swing, classic country, contemporary praise, Christmas, or instrumental music can be heard. Each tune brings to mind something different. Perhaps a moment in time or a person.  Maybe a reminder to be thankful or get up and dance! Sometimes after several runs through an album, I’ll remember to switch it to something new. Regardless, the music that plays is inspirational for me.

I have a lovely ceiling fan with a light. It is pretty and functional. When it is turned on, the bulbs shed light on the work I do and the fan gives a breeze that could almost be called “hurricainal.” I know that isn’t a word, but this little fan can sure move some air! I have a desk lamp as well for when I’m reading my Bible or working on Bible studies. It too provides the light needed for all tasks at my desk.

Throughout my house, you’ll find joy. Not my granddaughter (well maybe on certain days you’ll find her here), but the word “joy.”I’ve lost count of the actual number of plaques, pictures, artwork, etc. with that on it, but each room has something with joy on it. My office is no different. Joy can be found in prominent places and there is even one that you’d need to search for. My coffee coaster has red poppies on it. In making Ukrainian Eggs, the red poppy is a symbol for joy. Joy abounds here!

Among the items on the walls are verses of Scripture that are meaningful to me. They are words directly from God for me to remember. “For the Lord is good. His love endures forever.” (Psalm 100:5) “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” (Philippians 4:4) “Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 40:10) “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13)

As I sit at my desk the verse that I see directly in front of me is “Show me your ways, O Lord. Guide me in your truth and teach me.” (Psalm 25:4-5)For me, this is what it’s all about. As I study God’s Word, prepare to lead women in Bible study, or write, I’m always open to His teachings and guidance. I’m always searching for His truth.

In several ways, my office reminds me of heaven. It is a welcoming place. A comfortable place. And the reason? God has invited us. Invited us to join Him for eternity. It is where He dwells. And He has done His best work there.

  • God’s chosen décor for heaven is gems, pearls, and gold.
  • There is a tree…the tree of life.
  • Perhaps there will be glorious scents…we are invited to the wedding feast after all.
  • And music? Of course! Thousands and thousands of angels singing, “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!” (Revelation 5:13)
  • There will be no need of a light or a lamp, for God Himself will provide the Light.
  • And yes, there will even be joy! We will join with the angels in joyful assembly.
  • God’s Word will be there as well. Just as He spoke in the beginning, He will speak throughout eternity.

My office…a little bit like heaven. I will never sit here again without thinking of my future home. One that God has prepared for you and me. Come and join me in that ultimate “favorite” place. God will be waiting!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment