Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Cold


I have a cold. It’s one of those times in my life where I want to scream. I have a trip planned in two weeks, a first birthday party to plan, and numerous other important items to check off my list before my trip. I simply don’t have time to be sick! I have managed to stay healthy for over a year. I’ve been around sick people, but have kept my hands washed and their germs off of me. But it didn’t work this time.

Why? Why this time? Well, I was tired, run down, not taking care of myself, and the smallest germ attacked my system. It broke through all the defenses I’ve worked so hard to build up. Defeat. Yes, this cold has defeated me. It’s taken days from me. Days that I need in order to get things done for upcoming deadlines.

This cold reminds me of times when I’ve allowed my spiritual defenses to drop. It’s during those times that Satan knows exactly how to jump all over me and bring me down. When I’m too busy to spend quality time with God. When I’m so tired that I don’t want to spend quality time with God. Even when I’m sick, when my brain isn’t up to par because of medication to spend quality time with God. That’s when Satan attacks. When I am not at my best.

Unfortunately, these times are more frequent than I’d like. So Satan has plenty of opportunity to attack. But surely there is something I can do to prevent it, or to help ward off his attacks. Right? Yes! Ephesians 6:10-18 gives us the perfect weapons to “extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one.” (Ephesians 6:16)

First, we are called to “be strong in the Lord and his mighty power” and to “put on the full armor of God.” Without God’s strength and armor, we would be defenseless against Satan.

Then we are to put on:
  • The Belt of Truth
  • The Breastplate of Righteousness
  • Feet Fitted with Readiness
  • The Shield of Faith
  • The Helmet of Salvation
  • The Sword of the Spirit

With these tools and the understanding of how to use them, we can stand firm, be alert, and pray. I am so thankful for the tools that God gives us to prepare for battle! Don’t underestimate what God can do through you wearing His armor! So don’t allow your busyness, tiredness, or illness keep you from seeking God’s truths. Keep on keeping on. Stand firm. The battle belongs to God!

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment